.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps and Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Mod: Community Sprites Update Mod v1.06 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45030)

Globu March 2nd, 2010 07:40 PM

Community Sprites Update Mod v1.06

2 Attachment(s)
Community Sprites Update Mod
Version 1.06

UPDATE, APR 27, 2010

Added fixed Son of Shamshiel sprite (no change to graphic; only removed background junk pixels). Added Burnsaber's Deep Seer, Initiate of the Deep, and Great Seer of the Deeps replacement sprite (I have touched them up slightly in a few spots). Made a few more tweaks to Sorceress-series sprites and added a few variants.

(I was informed that the headdress I put on the Lich Queen was a distinctly male one -- the Nemes. So I kept it as a "Tomboy Variant" and added one with a Nefertiti-style headdress/hat thingy.)

DESCRIPTION

This is an ongoing mod aimed at being a community project that provides improved artwork (or quality alternates) for units whose sprites are showing their age in comparison with KO's and Illwinter's more recent standards.

It's rather humble at this point but growing. So far, the mod has 10 or so new sprites, one fixed version of an existing sprite, and 20 or so sprites by Zepath (taken from his Nova Deus mod, most of them optional and disabled by default). However, some modders have planned to contribute sprites, and other contributions are most certainly welcome (particularly for some of those oldest sprites that from the earlier days, like the lich pretenders and vampires). I'm adding some here and there as well, though I'm just learning, myself.

Artwork is a very picky, subjective business, and few will find *all* of the sprites included to be preferable to the vanilla artwork. So, as mentioned, many alternate sprites are not enabled by default (based on my own impressions and that taken from feedback on the thread). A visual preview of all available alternate sprites will be maintained with the mod, allowing the player to pick and choose by simply commenting or un-commenting-out the relevant parts of the mod.

Read the readme for further information.

VERSION HISTORY
  • v1.06: Added fixed Son of Shamshiel sprite (no change to graphic; only removed background junk pixels). Added Burnsaber's Deep Seer, Initiate of the Deep, and Great Seer of the Deeps replacement sprite (I have touched them up slightly in a few spots). Made a few more tweaks to Sorceress-series sprites and added a few variants.
  • v1.05: Added Vampire Queen and Lich Queen sprites. Updated Great Enchantress Sprite.
  • v1.04: Added readme.
  • v1.03: Added tweaked Palankasha sprite.
  • v1.02: Added sprites from Zepath's Nova Deus mod (mostly disabled by default)
  • v1.01: Great Enchantress added.
  • v1.00: Initial introductory release; gratuitous succubus only.

Original Post:

I did an alternate succubus sprite for my own use, out of sheer gratuity, and I was wondering if anyone else out there would like me to release it as a little mod. If anyone is actually interested in it, I'll turn this thread into a mod thread for it. Otherwise, I'll keep the poor little gal for myself.

Alternate Succubus Sprite Pic

Jack_Trowell March 3rd, 2010 05:49 AM

Re: Any interest in minor alt. sprite for succubus mod?

Why not, she looks good.

;)

Burnsaber March 3rd, 2010 06:10 AM

I think you could expand this a bit. There are some graphics in dom3 that could use a bit of a face-lift*. One of Zepaths pretender mods gave a new graphic for Phoenix that was really really sweet. I'll try to see if I still can find that mod and the appropiate sprite somewhere. You could combine several of these and call it the "sprite mod" or something.

*I'm looking at you, vanheim infantry/ vampires and the lich pretenders. Actually, I could be bothered (with time)to update the vanheim infantry sprites.

Globu March 3rd, 2010 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_Trowell (Post 733973)
Why not, she looks good.

;)

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burnsaber (Post 733975)
I think you could expand this a bit. There are some graphics in dom3 that could use a bit of a face-lift*. One of Zepaths pretender mods gave a new graphic for Phoenix that was really really sweet. I'll try to see if I still can find that mod and the appropiate sprite somewhere. You could combine several of these and call it the "sprite mod" or something.

*I'm looking at you, vanheim infantry/ vampires and the lich pretenders. Actually, I could be bothered (with time)to update the vanheim infantry sprites.

That sounds like a great idea -- sounds good to me. Maybe start it off as a sort of limited "Community Assorted Sprite Update Mod." I know the Enchantress pretender in both the vanilla and the Nova Deus mod are both kinda outdated and uninspiring, and I have a new enchantress that, pending some finishing touches, I can throw in. And specifically on the lich pretenders, vampires and Van infantry, yes, definitely.

Globu March 3rd, 2010 07:54 AM

Re: Community Sprites Update Mod v1.0 (1 so far, contributions welcome)

Alright. It's up.

llamabeast March 3rd, 2010 10:01 AM

Re: Community Sprites Update Mod v1.0 (1 so far, contributions welcome)

VAMPIRES. I have been thinking that needs to be done for a long time, but never quite had the inspiration to do it.

I think this mod is a very good idea, nice one. I probably have some dragon pretender sprites to contribute at some point as well. I have the main sprite, just not the attack sprite.

Burnsaber March 4th, 2010 06:25 AM

Re: Community Sprites Update Mod v1.01 (2 so far, contributions welcome)

That Great Enchantress is well.. great. Truly worthy graphic for a pretender goddess.

While you are at it, I think that it would be best to combine the upgraded sprites from Nova Deus into this mod. Zepath, although awesome, has not been around for years, so I don't think that he will mind and/or care. The new dragons he drew were absolutely fantastic and it would a shame to miss those from this project.

As for the Vanheim Infantry, I'll mix up some new sprites once I'm done with the Byzantium project.

Sombre March 4th, 2010 09:03 AM

I don't feel like the succubus really needed an update. There are some units with horrible old dom1 graphics which really do though.

I know Abysia has a bunch of them. Also some of the jotuns (though not all) have really nasty old graphics that could use sharpening up.

rdonj March 4th, 2010 12:35 PM

Agreed with burnsaber, that is an excellent sprite for the great enchantress. Whatever else you do with the mod, it would be worth downloading it for that change alone. Also agreed with sombre, I'm not sure the succubus needed an update. Your bat wings are great, though.

Globu March 4th, 2010 02:12 PM

Enchantress:
Thanks, Burnsaber and rdonj -- I'm glad the enchantress went over well.

Succubus:
Yes, I recognize as much on the succubus. Again, sheer gratuity. You guys feel it's something that would be best left out or kept separate?

Zepath's Pretenders:
You know, I hadn't even noticed it because I've had Nova Deus in play for so long I could hardly identify which sprites come from it without looking in the mod directory.

A lot of its upgrades, as far as my own preferences are concerned, are absolute musts -- among other things, that mounted archdruid is superb, and with the new sprite the Lord of Fertility now no longer looks like Bob from the next cubicle who has gone wild and is streaking through the building.

If there are no objections, I can certainly include some/most of Zepath's sprites in the mod. I imagine it won't conflict one way or another with Nova Deus, given that it's only changing sprites, correct?