.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Curious: Ritual of Return+Rebirth? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41211)

JimMorrison November 11th, 2008 05:55 PM

Curious: Ritual of Return+Rebirth?

So I was wondering, say you had an Astral+Death mage, maybe a pretender who you want to keep around for awhile, and you know they are going to receive assassination attempts soon, or maybe be forced to (return to) the Arena.

If you have both Return and Rebirth cast on the same mage, and they are killed in 1 hit..... do they come home, as a Wight Mage?

Also, an OT question: Is there an MR check for Banish to Inferno? I fought a big battle recently with someone armed with the Infernal Sword, and one of the Archdevils that comes with the Infernal Scythe, and not one enemy got Banished.....

chrispedersen November 11th, 2008 06:13 PM

Re: Curious: Ritual of Return+Rebirth?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMorrison (Post 651897)
So I was wondering, say you had an Astral+Death mage, maybe a pretender who you want to keep around for awhile, and you know they are going to receive assassination attempts soon, or maybe be forced to (return to) the Arena.

If you have both Return and Rebirth cast on the same mage, and they are killed in 1 hit..... do they come home, as a Wight Mage?

seems like ritual works first to negate damage. in other words, after I teleport out.. I don't have the damage...

JimMorrison November 11th, 2008 07:57 PM

Aha. I've never really used it, I was under the impression that you -take- the damage, and then teleport home. Could have sworn I saw someone mention that dying in 1 hit rendered it moot, but can't remember where, and searching "Ritual of Return" doesn't really narrow the field from offhand references, to real discussions of the mechanic.

archaeolept November 11th, 2008 08:20 PM

pretty sure the first hit there can kill you... I certainly lost enough arch-theurgs in DomII; then rebirth would take over, but you need to be in friendly dominion i believe. It could also be that the "arena" is linked to a specific arena on the map, which could be in your dominion...

lch November 11th, 2008 09:01 PM

The deathmatch arena, like Inferno, Cocytos and the Void, are special provinces that AFAIK will never have anybody's pretender's dominion.

chrispedersen November 11th, 2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMorrison (Post 651936)
Aha. I've never really used it, I was under the impression that you -take- the damage, and then teleport home. Could have sworn I saw someone mention that dying in 1 hit rendered it moot, but can't remember where, and searching "Ritual of Return" doesn't really narrow the field from offhand references, to real discussions of the mechanic.

Its hard to tell Jim, but I've used it hundreds of times.. and never gotten an affliction.. but that would probably be the easiest way to tell

Take a D9 bless and see if you get any afflictions.. in a M3 province...

MaxWilson November 12th, 2008 03:33 PM

I know that I've lost casters to Soul Slay even when wearing Armor of Virtue. Therefore, I don't think RoR negates damage, although maybe 999 damage is "special".

-Max

chrispedersen November 12th, 2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxWilson (Post 652170)
I know that I've lost casters to Soul Slay even when wearing Armor of Virtue. Therefore, I don't think RoR negates damage, although maybe 999 damage is "special".

-Max

RoR negates damage I recall. Things which kill without damage perhaps might not apply.

Nikelaos November 12th, 2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrispedersen (Post 652174)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxWilson (Post 652170)

-Max

RoR negates damage I recall. Things which kill without damage perhaps might not apply.

unfortunately soul slay does kill with damage, it says damage death but really it's 999, many a sphinx have taken a hit from soul slay and survived.

MaxWilson November 12th, 2008 05:24 PM

Yeah, but 999 damage is "special" in at least one respect: it ignores Luck. It could be that it's special w/rt RoR as well.

-Max