.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   What is the best way to kill a Sphinx? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=49559)

Gurthang March 3rd, 2013 06:44 PM

What is the best way to kill a Sphinx?

In one of my ongoing games, I am confronted with the remarkable feat to kill a Sphinx pretender. I can easily siege the fortress and defeat its army, but I ask myself what can be done to destroy the beast itself. It has a base 500 hps, raised by astrong dominion, and high magic resistance. What spells could be of use?

BewareTheBarnacleGoose March 3rd, 2013 07:35 PM

Re: What is the best way to kill a Sphinx?

Couldn't you just avoid the fight and dom kill it? Or do you only want to take in down in combat? If so, you can cast "shatter", or some AN spells. Or gear up a high-strength thug with a smasher or gate cleaver.

Admiral_Aorta March 3rd, 2013 07:39 PM

If its astral levels haven't been boosted too much you could try massed magic duels, one of them will likely kill it eventually. Shatter does a lot of damage to lifeless creatures, but that might still not be enough to kill a sphinx. Instant death spells with penetration boosters might work if you use enough of them, even with high magic resistance. If you're a blood sac nation then you'd probably do better to go for a dom kill rather than trying to kill it directly.

Gurthang March 3rd, 2013 08:58 PM

Dom killing it might be a nice idea. How does it work? I mean, shall the damn thing automatically die as soon as it has no single region with at least dominion 1?

Admiral_Aorta March 4th, 2013 03:34 AM

Yeah, a player with no dominion anywhere automatically loses the game, all their provinces revert to being independent and all their units vanish.

Soyweiser March 4th, 2013 04:11 AM

Not a domkill per se, but just putting the province he is into negative dominion (for him) also helps. As then the pretender has lower MR and lower HP. (From baseline).

Loren March 4th, 2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soyweiser (Post 818151)
Not a domkill per se, but just putting the province he is into negative dominion (for him) also helps. As then the pretender has lower MR and lower HP. (From baseline).

Yup, trying to kill the superhard non-living monsters is very hard if they have strong dominion. It's so much easier if you preach it to your side.

bbz March 4th, 2013 10:15 PM

Guys guys go the practical way about it!!!

Just answer her riddle. Can't believe no one mentioned that one!

sansanjuan March 7th, 2013 12:17 AM

Spammed stellar cascades (quick) or horror marks (slow) can work. Horrors. Certain items will hurt inanimates. Swarm hits are armor negating
ssj

brxbrx March 9th, 2013 10:23 PM

Soul slay spam? Are sphinxes susceptible to soul slay?