.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Multiplayer and AARs (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   MP: a lEArning experience (Newbie EA CBM1.92) [in progress] (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=48492)

megawidget March 7th, 2012 05:12 PM

a lEArning experience (Newbie EA CBM1.92) [in progress]

This game is intended for people who, like me, have nil multiplayer experience with Dominions 3, and want to try their hand at a comparatively quick game. I will be running this on llamaserver. Yes, I have no experience doing so. I'm sure this will turn out fine. :re:

Age......: Early Age.
Settings.: All default, except renaming is allowed and HoF 15.
Mods.....: CBM 1.92; Streamers & Standards (this one is purely cosmetic)
Players #: 10 (we hit capacity, but no-one will be left behind!)
Map......: Land of Ethereal Squirrels (even more finaler version)
Diplomacy: Formal mutual agreements should be adhered to to the letter, but not necessarily the spirit. Honor trades. Otherwise anything goes!
Turn Freq: 48h quickhost, to be adjusted as necessary when turns get longer. I'll try to be understanding and not let players stall.
Other....: In part due to the low number of players, I would strongly recommend that players never go AI and fight to the bitter end. Once again, this is A Learning Experience!

Nations:
Adam J - T'ien Ch'i
Aderion - Caelum
jotwebe - Pangaea
KeithZ - Yomi
mattyburn7 - Helheim
megawidget - Mictlan
Procyon Lotor - Arcoscephale
samoht - Niefelheim
shard - Agartha
ulius - Atlantis

Game URL:
http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo....ningExperience

How to upload pretenders:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showp...16&postcount=2
Use 'ALearningExperience' in the subject when emailing llamaserver.

parone March 7th, 2012 05:27 PM

Re: A Learning Experience (Newbie CBM1.92 EA) [recruiting]

would love to get in. currently in two games, but not prospering. total, i have played maybe 25 turns of MP.

is this MA? if so, i'd like to try Ulm. they are the only nation i have any experience with.

Austen March 7th, 2012 05:31 PM

I know you have this set up as EA, but like the previous poster, if this could be MA, I would love to join as Vanheim.

I have about the same thing.. in 2 games, getting crushed... not very many turns.

Edit - One other thing.. I would recommend starting with a 24 hour quick host and then increasing.. the first few turns don't seem to really need 48...

mattyburn7 March 7th, 2012 05:36 PM

I may have missed it, but did you state what age you are playing?

As of 2 months ago I hadn't played any MP games and was a below average SP player. Since then I've gotten addicted and am in the middle of 4 games currently. I'm learning a lot, but I think i'm still wayyyyyy behind the learning curve. Anyway. Its up to you. If you want another person I'm happy to play if you'll have me.

Cheers

Austen March 7th, 2012 05:42 PM

His Subject says EA, but pile on with us to convince him to change it to MA! :D

megawidget March 7th, 2012 05:48 PM

I only posted the age in the title of the thread, but it's EA. I've made the edit to the original post to clarify this.

If people overwhelmingly prefer MA I'm willing to change it, though given that I've never tried MA even in single player I'll probably be doing a lot more floundering. :confused:

Austen March 7th, 2012 05:54 PM

It's your game, don't let us bully you! MA seems a bit more balanced to me. EA seems like it is dominated by bless rushes.

If you really want to do EA, then stick to it. :) I logged on to post that I was going to start a game with almost identical parameters except MA and I saw yours and decided to hold off so as not to cannibalize the noobs.

It could very well be that there are enough interested noobs to do both and I could do an MA and you could stick to EA.

mattyburn7 March 7th, 2012 05:54 PM

i'm good with MA.

megawidget March 7th, 2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austen (Post 797869)
It's your game, don't let us bully you! MA seems a bit more balanced to me. EA seems like it is dominated by bless rushes.

If you really want to do EA, then stick to it. :) I logged on to post that I was going to start a game with almost identical parameters except MA and I saw yours and decided to hold off so as not to cannibalize the noobs.

It could very well be that there are enough interested noobs to do both and I could do an MA and you could stick to EA.

I *do* want to try MA -- there are some interesting game mechanics that are MA-exclusive -- so if we have enough newbies for both I could also join yours. I'm already going to be joining another EA game, but I think I should be able to handle three games.

So how about this: if I don't get enough players willing to do EA then I'll change it to MA. Otherwise you can start the MA game and I'll be happy to join! :D

Also regarding turn length -- I'm having it at 48h quickhost to ensure people don't stall, but since it's quickhost and we have few players I'm expecting the turns to go faster. 24h quickhost is going to be too short for those like me who can only commit turns when they find the time in the evening.

Austen March 7th, 2012 06:17 PM

Very good, I posted mine.. I liked your formatting, so I used it as a template :)

megawidget March 8th, 2012 01:59 AM

Re: a lEArning experience (Newbie EA CBM1.92) [recruiting]

Since you went ahead and did it, I changed mine back to EA.

Now wondering if anyone actually wants to play EA with the other EA games currently going... :poke:

Aderion March 8th, 2012 06:05 AM

Hi megawidget,

I would like to join this game as Caelum.I am currently playing my first MP game which is currently around Turn 14. Since I got the game about one month ago, I am rather inexperienced overall, especially with all the fency stuff one can do later in the game...

Quote:

Originally Posted by megawidget (Post 797872)
Also regarding turn length -- I'm having it at 48h quickhost to ensure people don't stall, but since it's quickhost and we have few players I'm expecting the turns to go faster. 24h quickhost is going to be too short for those like me who can only commit turns when they find the time in the evening.

I have similar issues and thus I would also prefer a turn length of 48h quickhost.

mattyburn7 March 8th, 2012 09:35 AM

EA Tir na N'og for me

Adam J March 8th, 2012 10:47 AM

I'd like to join if possible! If we do EA I'd like Tien Chin, if we do MA I think I'd like to try Ulm. I don't have any preference regarding the age.

Procyon Lotor March 8th, 2012 11:49 AM

I would love to join this game. This would be my first MP game. It sounds like someone else has beat me to EA Tien Chi, so can I take Arcosephale?

megawidget March 9th, 2012 01:08 AM

Gonna let this thread sit for another day or two to see if anyone else wants to join, but other than that it looks like we're good to start!

shard March 9th, 2012 07:48 AM

I havent played for nearly 3 years now and seems a lot of the game has passed me by. I dont think I recognise a quarter of the races now...
If you don't mind me jumping me I'd like to join as well (plus I think its the only game available to get my feet wet again as I install the game in my new office...)

I HAVE played some mp before though and if I join be sure to tremble before my rusty, outdated, strategies! :D

Aderion March 9th, 2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megawidget (Post 797997)
Gonna let this thread sit for another day or two to see if anyone else wants to join, but other than that it looks like we're good to start!

So what map are we playing on? Do you already have one in mind?

megawidget March 9th, 2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shard (Post 798014)
I havent played for nearly 3 years now and seems a lot of the game has passed me by. I dont think I recognise a quarter of the races now...
If you don't mind me jumping me I'd like to join as well (plus I think its the only game available to get my feet wet again as I install the game in my new office...)

I HAVE played some mp before though and if I join be sure to tremble before my rusty, outdated, strategies! :D

That's ok! I'll just put in a note that we gotta dogpile you ASAP. :D

Pick a race and I'll add you to the list.

megawidget March 9th, 2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aderion (Post 798016)
So what map are we playing on? Do you already have one in mind?

Not yet. Was going to take the final number of players, multiply it by some integer no greater than 15, and look for a map with those parameters.

Do people have preferences? Also, how many provinces do people want per player? I'm thinking maybe 12 will make for a pretty well-paced game.

samoht March 9th, 2012 03:43 PM

I was wondering if you were still taking new players. If not, thats totally fine.

I'm currently playing my first ever MP games. One is vanilla, mixed vets and noobs, the other is CBM mixed vets and noobs. I'm in the process of losing the second game before I really got anything going, so I was wondering if you wouldn't mind me joining and trying out Niefelheim.

mattyburn7 March 9th, 2012 05:43 PM

Nation Switch:

Can you switch me from Tir Na N'og to Caelum please?

Thanks!

megawidget March 9th, 2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattyburn7 (Post 798063)
Nation Switch:

Can you switch me from Tir Na N'og to Caelum please?

Thanks!

Aderion is already Caelum.
Van- and Hel- are still open though, if you desperately want a wintry nation. :p

shard March 9th, 2012 09:02 PM

Oh snap, forgot about picking a race.

I will take Agartha then, they seem almost unrecognisable.

This will be using the llamathingy pbem right?

megawidget March 9th, 2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shard (Post 798082)
Oh snap, forgot about picking a race.

I will take Agartha then, they seem almost unrecognisable.

This will be using the llamathingy pbem right?

Yep, it'll be llamaserver.

I tried Agartha briefly in SP, and while their troops still can't hit the broad side of the barn, they at least get a holy national to boost their troops' attack, at the risk of a battle fright affliction. It's up to you if you think it's worth it. Well, more like, it's really up to the AI. :p

mattyburn7 March 9th, 2012 09:45 PM

ok. How about Helheim then...I'll give them a whirl.

shard March 9th, 2012 09:53 PM

Aha I see what you mean... oh well, its fine. After all its a IEArning experience!

KeithZ March 9th, 2012 11:20 PM

Can I still join? I 'd like to play Yomi.

jotwebe March 10th, 2012 01:53 AM

... and I'd like to give Pangaea a whirl, if that's still possible.

ulius March 10th, 2012 06:14 AM

Hi,
I bought Dominions 3 just recently and found it quite enjoyable so far. So if that's still possible, I'd be eager to join my first MP game with you :-).

Since all the races I'm familiar with are already taken I'd have to take a look into the ones that are left to pick.

megawidget March 10th, 2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulius (Post 798116)
Hi,
I bought Dominions 3 just recently and found it quite enjoyable so far. So if that's still possible, I'd be eager to join my first MP game with you :-).

Since all the races I'm familiar with are already taken I'd have to take a look into the ones that are left to pick.

We have hit capacity, but we should be able to swing 10 players. So pick a race and we'll start!

How do you feel about an underwater nation? I would prefer a smaller map, and it's very probable we'll have water on it enough for at least one nation.

ulius March 10th, 2012 06:53 AM

Re: a lEArning experience (Newbie EA CBM1.92) [filled]

Never played one, so I wouldn't really know what to do with it. But it's a game, so who cares? Yes, why not try something new? Sounds like a good idea to me.

But let me take a brief look at those underwater nations first.

megawidget March 10th, 2012 06:54 AM

Now that we're filled we have to pick a map.

I propose we use the Land of Ethereal Squirrels:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showpost.php?p=713239

Outside of the obvious perk of having ethereal squirrels, it has 103 land + 13 sea provinces, with 11.444 provinces for each land player, and 13 for the one water player. This should make for a reasonably paced game even with 10 players.

ulius, you'll have to pick a water nation for this one as we have all the land nations we need. Which should be fun! :) I'm personally a huge fan of water nations, though I have no justification for that whatsoever -- I guess I just like lurking.

If there are no counter proposals, I'll host the game on llamaserver tomorrow night (I am GMT -8) and players will be able to upload pretenders.

megawidget March 10th, 2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulius (Post 798120)
Never played one, so I wouldn't really know what to do with it. But it's a game, so who cares? Yes, why not try something new? Sounds like a good idea to me.

But let me take a brief look at those underwater nations first.

Take your time. Just make sure to state your choice in the forums by the time you choose your pretender! :)

ulius March 10th, 2012 07:30 AM

Atlantis, Emergence of The Deep Ones, it is.
They ... will ... emerge.

ulius March 10th, 2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megawidget (Post 798121)

I like the look of the map but I just tested it and I was placed in the lake province in the middle as Atlantis. That wouldn't be very ... convenient for me if it happened in our game. Any suggestions?

jotwebe March 10th, 2012 11:16 AM

Nice, I like wraparounds.

There's a slight issue with this map on linux: the .tga file is named LandofEtherealSquirrels.tga, but the .map file has the name in lowercase. Since linux is case-sensitive I had to rename the .tga file - hopefully this won't mess with compability or something.

megawidget March 10th, 2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotwebe (Post 798156)
Nice, I like wraparounds.

There's a slight issue with this map on linux: the .tga file is named LandofEtherealSquirrels.tga, but the .map file has the name in lowercase. Since linux is case-sensitive I had to rename the .tga file - hopefully this won't mess with compability or something.

Where'd you get the map? Mine has both in the same camel case, and I got it here:

megawidget March 10th, 2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulius (Post 798133)
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawidget (Post 798121)

I like the look of the map but I just tested it and I was placed in the lake province in the middle as Atlantis. That wouldn't be very ... convenient for me if it happened in our game. Any suggestions?

Haha!
Complain here if that happens and we'll restart. :)

jotwebe March 10th, 2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megawidget (Post 798189)
Where'd you get the map? Mine has both in the same camel case, and I got it here:

That's where I got it from, too (the "even more final" zip). And both the .map and the .tga are in camel-case - that's the problem, I think.
The .map file is a text file with all the data about its provinces and so on.

At the start it tells dominions where to get the image - and here's a quote from it. As you can see in the #imagefile line, it specifies it in lowercase.

Code:

-- Title and image file
#dom2title The Land of Ethereal Squirrels
#imagefile landofetherealsquirrels.tga
#domversion 175
#wraparound
#defaultmapzoom 1.00
#description "An infinite world full of ethereal beings, but primarily known of
ethereal squirrels. This is the fixed version of 22.2.2010."

That's no problem in windows, windows ignores case. On linux however there's a difference between landofetherealsquirrels.tga and LandofEtherealSquirrels.tga, and so dominions gets told "there's no such file here, sucka". Then dominions crashes :doh:

One fix would be to change the #imagefile line in the .map file to CamelCase, but I'm a bit worried that there'd be problems when the .map files aren't exactly the same, even if there's no difference for the actual map. Maybe someone with more MP experience knows?

The fix I went for is to rename the .tga file to lowercase, which leaves the .map file completely unchanged. I don't expect the server to care about the map images, so I hope it'll be ok.

I'm a bit surprised it hasn't come up in all the time the map has been in use.

megawidget March 10th, 2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotwebe (Post 798198)
The fix I went for is to rename the .tga file to lowercase, which leaves the .map file completely unchanged. I don't expect the server to care about the map images, so I hope it'll be ok.

Good catch!
I've actually went ahead and uploaded a fixed map to llamaserver:
http://www.llamaserver.net/mapModBrowser.cgi
It's the last one there. I also removed the lake start. Will create a game in a few minutes and people will be able to upload pretenders!

megawidget March 10th, 2012 10:31 PM

Re: a lEArning experience (Newbie EA CBM1.92) [uploading pretenders]

Game's up! Get your pretenders in and we'll start.

jotwebe March 10th, 2012 11:37 PM

Sweet!

Charles Darwin is ready to lead Pangaea to victory... or extinction...

samoht March 11th, 2012 01:34 AM

Dane Cook is ready to spread his frozen dominion across the world.

megawidget March 11th, 2012 04:25 AM

All shout glory hallelujah! A Maizing Grace will spread his warmth across the lands.

Disclaimer: blood sacrifice may be involved.

ulius March 11th, 2012 06:11 AM

[quote=megawidget;798214]
Quote:

Originally Posted by jotwebe (Post 798198)
I also removed the lake start. Will create a game in a few minutes and people will be able to upload pretenders!

Thank you good Sir, we couldn't stand being called "The Oh Not Half as Deep as I Thought Ones".

Now we're ready to really rise under the lead of the glorious ... (drumroll) ... Morda.

Adam J March 11th, 2012 01:27 PM

All shall kneel before the mighty Long Wang, god of T'ien Chi!

samoht March 11th, 2012 03:35 PM

I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm going to have a serious name for one of my pretenders...

megawidget March 11th, 2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Procyon Lotor (Post 797942)
I would love to join this game. This would be my first MP game. It sounds like someone else has beat me to EA Tien Chi, so can I take Arcosephale?

Arcoscephaleeeeee! We're waiting on your pretender!

I'm hoping to start this tomorrow evening at the latest (GMT -8).

megawidget March 12th, 2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulius (Post 798233)
Thank you good Sir, we couldn't stand being called "The Oh Not Half as Deep as I Thought Ones".

Now we're ready to really rise under the lead of the glorious ... (drumroll) ... Morda.

If Arcoscephale fails to sign up by tonight, are you OK starting as an underwater nation still, or would you prefer to take his land spot?