.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   TO&Es (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Soviet SMG section throw smoke on 150 meters! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=37954)

Epoletov_SPR March 9th, 2008 03:31 PM

Soviet SMG section throw smoke on 150 meters!

Soviet SMG section throw smoke on 150 meters !

Probably it is a mistake ?!

thatguy96 March 9th, 2008 08:01 PM

Re: Soviet SMG section throw smoke on 150 meters!

The way the game works, smoke can be "fired" if ammo is available out to the maximum range of the farther firing weapon IIRC. This means the weapon firing the smoke might actually be the SMG as the game sees it, since smoke is not specific ammo for any specific weapon.

Not really an error or a bug so much as a game limitation because of how smoke ammo is treated.

Mobhack March 9th, 2008 09:27 PM

Actually, infantry can only throw smoke one hex - that class had been missed in the IF statement. Bug. Fixed.

Andy

thatguy96 March 9th, 2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Mobhack said:
Actually, infantry can only throw smoke one hex - that class had been missed in the IF statement. Bug. Fixed.

Andy

Good to know. Is how I'm thinking still the way things work for vehicles? Or is that still limited to the weapon in slot 1?

DRG March 10th, 2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

thatguy96 said:

Good to know. Is how I'm thinking still the way things work for vehicles? Or is that still limited to the weapon in slot 1?

What Andy was referring to was a bug that allowed one infantry class to toss smoke further than one hex. I have no idea what you are referring to at all.

Don

thatguy96 March 10th, 2008 03:40 PM

I was always under the impression that the way smoke worked in game revolved around the maxium range of the long firing weapon a unit had. That is, if a unit has smoke ammo, and a weapon that has range of X, then it can fire smoke ammo out to X distance.

I'm starting to remember details of it being limited to certain classes of weapons now though, but now I'm thuroughly confused. So all infantry unit classes are limited to throwing smoke to a distance of one hex? What about Inf-AT/Inf-RR type units? Same deal?

DRG March 10th, 2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

thatguy96 said:
I was always under the impression that the way smoke worked in game revolved around the maxium range of the long firing weapon a unit had. That is, if a unit has smoke ammo, and a weapon that has range of X, then it can fire smoke ammo out to X distance.

I'm starting to remember details of it being limited to certain classes of weapons now though, but now I'm thuroughly confused. So all infantry unit classes are limited to throwing smoke to a distance of one hex? What about Inf-AT/Inf-RR type units? Same deal?

The short answer is 1 hex but you could tested this in the game in less time than it took to type the question.

-Buy a number of US airborne In-AT bazooka or RR units in 1945 ( the elite units are more likely to get smoke )

-start the game

-find one with smoke. They won't all have smoke but a few will.

- check the main weapon range of the unit with smoke. Something like a 57mm recoilless with have a 450 yard range.

- find a hex beyond 1 hex from your unit preferably the max range if possible and used Z fire to toss out a round

- now try the same thing with X. Nothing will happen. Now try it 2 hexes from the unit. Nothing will happen. Now try it the hex adjacent to the unit. Smoke will appear if the unit has smoke.

If it's a tank it will fire smoke as far as the gun could normally fire so anywhere from it's own hex to whatever the gun range is. Infantry will also fire smoke into their own or adjacent hex hex with the X key but that's as far as they should be able to toss it. if you find another one that can throw smoke further than the adjacent hex please let us know

Don

thatguy96 March 10th, 2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

DRG said:
The short answer is 1 hex but you could tested this in the game in less time than it took to type the question.

Well I'm at work, so thanks for taking the time to explain it for me.

Quote:

DRG said:
If it's a tank it will fire smoke as far as the gun could normally fire so anywhere from it's own hex to whatever the gun range is.

Is it too much to ask whether that is linked to the unit class or the weapon class? I'm guessing from the infantry restrictions that its linked to the unit class, but I'm not at home so I can test that one out either.

DRG March 10th, 2008 06:15 PM

Unitclass

thatguy96 March 11th, 2008 11:43 AM

Thx, I think armed with all that I can test out everything else I might want to know.