.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Multiplayer and AARs (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   MP: Nooblies - EA [9/8] players [Runing] (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47415)

Laddwr May 17th, 2011 09:12 PM

Nooblies - EA [9/8] players [Runing]

I'm looking to start a new game for players new to multiplayer such as my self. I'd like to get 8 players together for this. I'd like everyone to be newbies, maybe one more experienced player to take a more observational role and help us out. Running on default settings without any mods to complicate things.

-EA
-Map is Cradle of Dominions
-Turns will be either every 24 or 48 hours, depending on what works for everyone
-8 players, will add bots if everyone wants them
-No mods
-Standard settings
-Victory will be decided when everyone wants to end it or some one kills off all the other players
-Diplomacy us A-OK, feel free to make friends and betray anyone you want!

Also, this is my first thread on this forum, so woo!

1 Laddwr - Neifelheim
2 Talrivian - Yomi
3 AfroSquirrel - Hinnom
4 Thanatus del Dragos - Agartha
5 LongBrodie - Fomoria
6 Thranite - Atlantis
7 Soviet_Storm - Abysia
8 MagicDinosaur765 - Mictlan

9(?) Ghill - Sauromatia

THE GAME IS FULL
http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo....me=TheNooblies <=== llamaserver page

AfroSquirrel May 17th, 2011 10:40 PM

Re: Nooblies - EA [1/8] players [Recruiting]

How will this be played? Through llamaserver? Also, I suggest forbidding players from going AI.

I'm interested in taking on another MP game. I'm not yet sure what nation I'll play, though.

Talrivian May 17th, 2011 10:46 PM

Well, I guess technically I can be considered a noob. I am currently playing my first game, but I would like to join in on this one as well. I recommend using llamaserver.net as it is rather easy to use.

If you will have me, I'd like to play Yomi, please.

Deadnature May 17th, 2011 10:50 PM

If this is a game for getting some Dom3-experience (new players only) I would strongly recommend using the mod CBM in some form, because it seems almost universal these days and playing with is quite different from vanilla (better IMO).

Laddwr May 17th, 2011 11:13 PM

And yeah, planned on using llamaserver. Forgot to mention that. And I'd like to try it out with vanilla dom3 first before loading up any mods, standard as they may be. I hope I'm not alienating my self from this.

Also, how do I edit the title to a thread?

Korwin May 17th, 2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadnature (Post 777411)
If this is a game for getting some Dom3-experience (new players only) I would strongly recommend using the mod CBM in some form, because it seems almost universal these days and playing with is quite different from vanilla (better IMO).

Really don't understand this argument.
Newbies migth have some SP experience in Vanilla, why should they use an Mod where they need to learn the game again?

AfroSquirrel May 17th, 2011 11:37 PM

Alright, sign me up for Hinnom. Pretty sure I qualify as I newbie, since I'm still involved in my first MP game.

Laddwr May 17th, 2011 11:51 PM

Alright, added Afro and Tal to the list and changed my faction, since giants are cooler than olms.

Thanatus del Dragos May 17th, 2011 11:57 PM

I want olms! Agartha please.

LongBrodie May 18th, 2011 07:27 AM

I have yet to play a MP game, myself. Sign me up under Fomoria. :D

AfroSquirrel May 18th, 2011 02:11 PM

Maybe we should name this game "Giants and Midgets"...

Also, the argument for using CBM is that it's standard in most other MP games due to how good a job it does of rebalancing the nations. It doesn't require one to 'relearn' the game, but it does things like adding national summons and heroes, adding (inferior) alternatives to Tartarians, and adjusting costs. It also does some more controversial things like making Clams and (I think) a couple other items unique. I'd recommend using it since it'll likely appear in whatever games we go on to play later, though I'm fine playing either way.

PriestyMan May 18th, 2011 02:21 PM

Fwiw, CBM 1.7+ does some pretty drastic changes to the game. Most people agree with the changes, and play with them, but the argument can be made that starting with 1.6 may be better because it is much closer to vanilla than the later versions. with 1.6 you get all really non-controversial changes that purely improve the game.

Either way is fine.

Thanatus del Dragos May 18th, 2011 02:22 PM

I prefer vanilla.

Laddwr May 18th, 2011 03:17 PM

Also, anyone know how to change the game title?

Thranite May 18th, 2011 03:33 PM

If you're still looking for players, I'd like to sign up. If accepted this will be my 5th game (3 of them still running however), so I believe I still qualify as a newb.

At this point, I'm not interested in CBM, vanilla only please. If that causes trouble I can bow out with no hard feelings.

I haven't tried a water nation yet, I'd like to try Atlantis.

Thanks for your consideration.

Laddwr May 18th, 2011 06:01 PM

Alright, just two slots left! Looks like we've got a big game coming with all the giants.

I still can't figure out how to change the title, I feel like a bad salesman.

Soviet_Storm May 18th, 2011 06:57 PM

This sounds like an awesome game for my first multiplayer match. I'll come in as Abysia if I still can. I've been around for a while I know, but I took a looooong dominions break, so we'll see how this goes.

MagicDinosaur765 May 18th, 2011 08:11 PM

Hello, I want to play with Mictlan, and I prefer no mods. Thanks.

Ghill May 18th, 2011 09:32 PM

Hello, I have been off of Dominions forever and only played one game (in which I had my butt thoroughly kicked).

Can I join as Sauromantia?

EDIT: Also, vanilla is awesome for me. I am used to playing with heavy mods but I am fine without any.

EDIT EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! The rest of the slots were taken before my post. So sad. Would you be willing to make it nine? Or let me know if someone decides not to play?

Laddwr May 18th, 2011 10:17 PM

Alright, we're full. I'll push us up to 9 players. I'm taking map ideas now. Start drawing up Pretenders boys.

Talrivian May 18th, 2011 10:32 PM

Re: Nooblies - EA [9/8] players [Planning]

I vote for "Cradle of Dominions" as our map of choice! It is large enough to allow us noobies to get settled in, while not being so large so as to create a long, drawn-out, never-ending game.

Yomi power!

Laddwr May 18th, 2011 10:33 PM

I was thinking the same thing! I'm opening up the game on llamaserver as we speak.

Alright it's up, http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo....me=TheNooblies

COMMENCE THE PRETENDER MAKING

Ghill May 18th, 2011 10:39 PM

You are the most wonderful host ever!

Also, I think you edit the first post of the thread and when you change the title it changes the thread title.

Laddwr May 18th, 2011 10:41 PM

Yeah, figured that out. Also, if anyone knows how llamaserver works and wants to show me the ropes I'd be forever greatful. All I need to know is how to add pretenders to the game and how to start the game when it comes time. That and set turn timers.

Talrivian May 18th, 2011 10:45 PM

It is fairly simple. Just check this link out, it should explain everything:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35160

If after reading it, you are still confused, then I'll tell you how here in this thread.

Ghill May 18th, 2011 10:49 PM

I just searched for that thread so I could get in.

Also, first.

I am so excited for this game.

Laddwr May 18th, 2011 11:02 PM

Throw in more pretenders! Let's get this started!

Also, how do I set a turn time limit?

Ghill May 18th, 2011 11:22 PM

I am so ready for this.

It is somewhere under "administrative options" once you start the game. Not sure if you can adjust it before the pretenders are in and the game begins.

Laddwr May 18th, 2011 11:25 PM

Thanks Ghill.

3 Nooblies have signed in so far, 6 more to go. Will this game go down in history as a triumph for newb kind? Or will this end with a downward spiral of death and humiliation. Stay tuned to find out!

Soviet_Storm May 18th, 2011 11:30 PM

Let me just find the pilot light on the Smouldercone and start this firestorm a-cooking...

Thranite May 19th, 2011 12:13 PM

I'll have my pretender posted tonight!

Ghill May 19th, 2011 03:09 PM

Late night timing?

If everyone has their pretenders in tonight we could be on turn two by tomorrow! I will be home late and up all night anyway, so I will probably be taking my turn around midnight if the game is ready to begin...

Once this game gets going I'll post my opening strategy. Secrecy shouldn't really matter until turn twenty or so.

AfroSquirrel May 19th, 2011 03:39 PM

I'd like to pre-emptively apologize for being the cause of an early-game delay, but I'll be without internet access from the 26th to the 30th of this month.

Ghill May 19th, 2011 04:13 PM

Already???

This is more between you and Laddwr...but do you intend to find a sub for a few turns, or are you asking for a four day break? Breaks tend to be game killers, so if you could find a sub that would be much better.

AfroSquirrel May 19th, 2011 04:42 PM

Re: Already???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghill (Post 777566)
This is more between you and Laddwr...but do you intend to find a sub for a few turns, or are you asking for a four day break? Breaks tend to be game killers, so if you could find a sub that would be much better.

If we're doing 48 hr turns, I could probably trim it down to being just a one-turn delay equivalent, but since we'll probably be doing 24 hours to start, I'll look for a sub. Is there any generally accepted format to a 'Sub request' thread, or what?

Ghill May 19th, 2011 04:45 PM

Helping with arrangements...

The official sticky is right here. Though I don't know how often people check it.

Laddwr May 19th, 2011 04:59 PM

We'll do 24 hour turns, and you can get a sub if you want, but I'm willing to wait.

Ghill May 19th, 2011 11:36 PM

Why???

All but two people in. I will be up all night anyway, submit as soon as you can if you haven't yet!

Laddwr May 20th, 2011 08:28 PM

Only One Left, Let's Get This Show On The Road.

Thanatus del Dragos May 20th, 2011 10:21 PM

Sorry, didnt realise this was getting started!

Laddwr May 20th, 2011 10:31 PM

Alright, all pretenders are in and I just sent out the first turn. I'll copy what I wrote in the MotD.

And so it begins, another chapter in newbie history is written today. We shall go down in history as the finest newbs in all the land. They shall tell stories of our triumphs for years to come.

Let it be known: the Nooblies ride today, and we ride to victory!

Thranite May 20th, 2011 10:38 PM

Atlantis sends best wishes to all nations. The pretender god Historical Revisionism wishes everyone to know that no matter who wins, he will rewrite history so that they become the bad guy in the end.

Laddwr May 20th, 2011 10:58 PM

Ane, the god of Niefelheim wishes to send his condolences to the families of the other pretenders in advance. They will be missed.

Ghill May 20th, 2011 11:13 PM

Feather fluffing; also preening.

The magnificent, wonderful, and umm...avian True Pyre wishes it to be known that he too may be as boastful as any of these "pretenders" who wish to challenge them, only he doesn't need to be because he has nothing to prove to anyone ever.

Also, he (and I) had not realized that we were doing victory points. Oops. Also, our capital is located in province 137. BRING IT!!!

In a few turns through I will be looking to sell blood slaves to. I have little interest in them as I find their use distasteful; so logically I must sell them to my enemies so that they can summon hoards of demons to attack me.

Laddwr May 20th, 2011 11:50 PM

Uhm, we aren't doing victory points, and if we are there's been a horrible mistake.

Ghill May 21st, 2011 12:02 AM

Horrible mistake? Sounds like crossbreed...

Oh, I just noticed the vital provinces. Not sure what they mean. They have little crowns on them? They might just be scenery, but I didn't think so...

Laddwr May 21st, 2011 12:07 AM

I think those are just starting points, or the original starting points. This map has the starting points switched around from what's on the map.

Soviet_Storm May 21st, 2011 01:35 AM

Little star marks mean special magic sites on the map iirc.

Ghill May 21st, 2011 01:51 AM

Oh reeeally?

Well then, I guess I should rush for those. Special magic is important.

EDIT: Also, they were crowns...

Ghill May 21st, 2011 07:49 AM

De-Lays brand chip?

So, server isn't updating. Did I miss something?