.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Times when the game results are just weird... (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=48172)

Aeraaa December 22nd, 2011 06:21 PM

Times when the game results are just weird...

Are there times where you feel the result of the game isnt representative of the game you played? Times when the result was a draw when you think it was a great victory on your part? I'm telling that because after I played a regimental sized battle where I captured some very important objectives (all bridges and river crossings in a scenario where there was a river separating the 2 sides) and caused huge casualties to the enemy the final result was something along 25000 points for me 24000 for the AI. OK, I also had significant casualties on my own but by the end of the battle the importance of the objectives alone should give me victory. Somehow I feel objectives should be of a greater value than they are atm...

gila December 22nd, 2011 07:59 PM

Re: Times when the game results are just weird...

I always take in account of losses to myself and the opponent.

It's not just a flag grab situation,you also need to weigh in what you also lost,was it worth it? ei: those costly units.

If you lost "significant" high cost units getting those flags,you'll not get the great victory you think you deserve.

Just how it rolls in this game;)

scJazz December 22nd, 2011 08:04 PM

Capturing a 200 point flag isn't worth it if it takes 1000 points of units to do so. There have been times when I have purposefully ignored a flag that I know is surrounded by 40mm AAA guns, ATGs and MGs. It'd just cost to much to take it late in the game with turns running out and your Artillery exhausted.

Palle December 22nd, 2011 09:27 PM

Reminds me of Market Garden; a, "90% success" was that not the words? In game terms the losses taken attempting to get those objective hexes in Arnhem exceeded the total number of objective hexes on the other bridges.

Suhiir December 23rd, 2011 02:38 AM

The armies separated; and, it is said, Pyrrhus replied to one that gave him joy of his victory that one more such victory would utterly undo him. For he had lost a great part of the forces he brought with him, and almost all his particular friends and principal commanders; there were no others there to make recruits, and he found the confederates in Italy backward. On the other hand, as from a fountain continually flowing out of the city, the Roman camp was quickly and plentifully filled up with fresh men, not at all abating in courage for the loss they sustained, but even from their very anger gaining new force and resolution to go on with the war.
—Plutarch

scJazz December 23rd, 2011 03:38 AM

WTB: Pyrrhic Victory quote :)

Aeraaa December 23rd, 2011 05:00 AM

Yeah OK, tactically you could say it's a Pyrrhic victory or a draw, although operationally if your regiment manage to capture all bridges in a river, you have more or less achieved a breakthrough and the rest of the division can pour through the gap. And a question I have: when a tank gets destroyed and no crew bails out does the crew also count in the units cost lost? That could explain why I lost so many points even though my regiment was composed by cheaper units and the ratio of casualties was about 1:1.2 (in other words, not that dire...)

Palle December 23rd, 2011 07:55 AM

Oh Roma, my favorites. By jupiter they were hard.

Quote:

although operationally if your regiment manage to capture all bridges in a river, you have more or less achieved a breakthrough and the rest of the division can pour through the gap.
I bet the Germans at Kursk said something similar on the first day of the battle...
A Regimant is about a third of a division. That is hard to sustain for long unless you are USSR, Viet Minh, Red China or N. Korea...

scJazz December 23rd, 2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeraaa (Post 791221)
Yeah OK, tactically you could say it's a Pyrrhic victory or a draw, although operationally if your regiment manage to capture all bridges in a river, you have more or less achieved a breakthrough and the rest of the division can pour through the gap. And a question I have: when a tank gets destroyed and no crew bails out does the crew also count in the units cost lost? That could explain why I lost so many points even though my regiment was composed by cheaper units and the ratio of casualties was about 1:1.2 (in other words, not that dire...)

Crews don't count at all.

FASTBOAT TOUGH December 23rd, 2011 12:37 PM

Under the same situation, I simply think of it as part of the bigger picture to the division level as well, but locally if I've taken a beating as well and find myself in a draw, I process it as after the battle would I really be able to hold the objectives gained against a counter attack in force? Usually the answer would be no and at times I would be lucky to hold my original line as well, unless my reinforcements come up of course. Personnel and equipment are always more valuable then the objective unless forced to battle, my history lesson is more recent, think Sherman's "March to the Sea" in which the campaign was one of maneuver until Hood was forced to give battle at Atlanta.

Regards,
Pat