.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   TO&Es (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   MBT's (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45260)

FASTBOAT TOUGH April 11th, 2020 05:22 PM

Re: MBT's

As a continuation of the above conversations, I found some interesting data that supports the discussion to this point.

Also as I keep my eyes open to the world on matters concerning the game, I found some interesting news concerning Nigeria that has taken delivery of what will be one of the most advanced tanks operating in Africa.

Nigeria is at the forefront of Sub-Sahara countries trying to modernize their armies.

Now back to Japan, first from ref. 1...
This really also includes the TYPE-74/TYPE-90 as well as the TYPE-10 the ref is about, this under Mobility.
"A feature carried over from both the Type 74 and Type 90 is the Hydropneumatic Active Suspension. This is seen as a ‘must-have’ feature by Japanese strategic heads, given the Japanese countryside’s mountainous terrain. The suspension allows the tank to ride higher or lower depending on the terrain type, tilt left or right, or raise and lower the front or rear of the tank. This increases the elevation or depression angle of the gun, giving the ability to fire over a ridge line without presenting a target for an enemy vehicle.
(Somewhere in this Thread on the TYPE-10, I posted a picture of the tank at about a ~35 degree angle going over a wall on the right side of the tank.)
This suspension also has another use. A bulldozer blade can be mounted on the bow of the vehicle. When the front of the tank is fully depressed, this blade serves as a way to clear out debris from a firing position or help to carve out a new one.
A similar system was incorporated on the Swedish Strv. 103, or S-Tank."

Next...
"Deployment Capabilities
One of the issues with the Type 90 Kyū-maru Main Battle Tank was its weight of 50.2 tons. Due to weight limits of many roads and bridges in some of the more rural areas of Japan, the Type 90 was only deployed in Hokkaido.
A requirement of the Type 10 was that it was much lighter, and it achieved that. Unloaded, which is how it would be transported, it only weighs 40 tons, as previously mentioned. This means that 84% of Japan’s 17,920 bridges are now passable with the Type 10, compared to only 65% of the Type 90, and a meager 40% for the average western tank."

So there you have.
https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/moder...pe-10-hitomaru
http://www.military-today.com/tanks/tk_x.htm

Highlights:

"Vehicle has a sloped modular ceramic composite armor similar to the Leopard 2A5. Its side profile is similar to the Leclerc."

"Autoloader is located in the turret bustle (More on this w/TYPE 90 below.) The autoloader is more advanced than on the previous Type 90 MBT."

"The Type 10 fires newly developed armor-piercing ammunition."

"The Type 10 main battle tank is also fitted with a state-of-the-art semi-active hydropneumatic suspension. The tank can "sit", "stand", "kneel" or to "lean" in any direction. This feature gives a number of advantages, especially operating in mountainous terrain."

On TYPE-90...
https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/moder...pe-90_Kyu-Maru http://www.military-today.com/tanks/type_90.htm

Highlights:

"The Type 90 is among the best MBTs in the world. Furthermore for a period of time it was the most expensive production MBT."

"The Type 90 has an all-welded hull and turret. Its composite armor has superior resistance qualities."

"However autoloaders of the Cold War era Soviet main battle tanks had one common problem as the ready-to-use ammunition was stored in the main compartment, rather than a separate compartment. In this case once the armor is penetrated it can trigger detonation of onboard ammunition. Japanese designers addressed this problem by relocating the autoloader in the turret bustle with blow-out panels. So ready-to-use ammunition is separated from the crew. Autoloader of the Type 90 tank holds 20 rounds, stored in the turret bustle that are ready to fire."
(Rest are stored in the Front Hull area.)

"At the time it was one of the most advanced fire control systems in the world. It gives a high first round hip probability and, accurate mobile firing. Furthermore it has hunter-killer engagement capability, which enables to engage multiple targets rapidly. This feature was new at the time when this tank was introduced."
With development of the TYPE 10, supposedly, the FCS has been further updated.)

" Fire control system of the Type 90 is reportedly more advanced than those used on the French Leclerc, German Leopard 2A5 and American M1A2 Abrams.

The TYPE 10 is meant to supplement the TYPE-90. Though the TYPE 10 can take out any modern MBT, due to the specialized AP round it can only fire, it's not really designed for that purpose, this is why the TYPE-90 will stay in service until replaced.

On TYPE 74...
https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldw...ype-74_MBT.php
http://www.military-today.com/tanks/type_74.htm
Highlights:

"This tank uses a number of best features of contemporary Western designs, placing it in the same class as the M60 Patton and Leopard 1. However it saw widespread use only in 1980s, when more capable Western designs were introduced. So the Type 74 was generally out-dated even before it entered service"

"A cast turret of the Type 74 is broadly similar to that of the French AMX-30. This main battle tank is armed with a fully-stabilized 105 mm rifled gun. It is the British L7 gun, manufactured in Japan under license. Prototype of the Type 74 was fitted with an autoloader, however it proved too complex and expensive, and was removed. Initially the Type 74 used HEP rounds. These were later upgraded to APFDSD and HEAT-MP. A total of 55 rounds are carried for the main gun"

"Fire control system of this main battle tank was very advanced. For the first time in the world a tank was fitted with advanced computer for ballistic calculations. It also had a laser rangefinder. In service tanks were later upgraded with infra-red imagers."

"Vehicle has a hydropneumatic suspension, allowing this MBT to "sit", "stand", "kneel" or to "lean". This feature was incorporated from the canceled German-US MBT-70 design. The driver can adjust the suspension to suit the type of terrain."

There you have it. All quotes taken from Military-Today

Nigeria:
They received the first shipment of VT-4 tank(s), SH-5 6x6 105mm SPA and ST-1 light tanks. This supplemented by Russian equipment recently (Ref. 1 Para 9) received as well. Also from ref. 1 the crews have already been trained in China on their use. Once CORNA-19 dissipates, China is to send along F/U trainers.
https://www.defenceweb.co.za/feature...ry-from-china/
https://www.armyrecognition.com/apri...rian_army.html
https://defence-blog.com/army/nigeri...rom-china.html
https://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...pladaily01.htm

I would expect the Chinese equipment to be operational by Oct-Dec timeframe if the shipments are on schedule.

If it applies: Happy Easter!!

Regards,
Pat
:capt:

Suhiir April 11th, 2020 05:47 PM

Keep in mind the Japanese military is primarily a defensive force. In recent years they've been having (heated) discussions about permitting their forces to operate outside Japans national territory and take part in NATO/SEATO operations.

FASTBOAT TOUGH April 11th, 2020 09:13 PM

Don, not feeling ready to "bounce" the "resubmissions" against the OOB's as of yet, (I'm thinking.)...done..., I hope this will only affect a few (Hopefully NONE) others out here, CINCLANTHOME has lost a close friend that she's known since she was 7 years old last Wed in upstate N.Y. a couple of hrs. NW of the "Big Apple" to CORNA-19.

It has made her a little more "hyper-sensitive" concerning my job on the base, especially as we have a handful+ of confirmed cases onboard, which is public information.

She understands I have a duty and responsibility to do my part and therefore I will. I couldn't have asked for a more supportive "team member" if I tried and we are a team. Yeah, besides she let's me "hang" with all of you and what can go wrong there, even with the good, bad or indifferent. ;)

So the Admin side will have to wait a bit.

However a good campaign of Japan versus Russia after my last post well, just seems in order.

I have to say I'm more then pleased at how you represented the TYPE 16 MCV, looks absolutely fabulous!!

Thanks for the support, I'm sure the rest is in order when I get to it.

Again I know some of you might deal with this before it's over but again, I hope not.

We intend to be stronger then it and also know we'll all get through this thing. It is unique to our time.

So I leave you with a reminiscence from my youth below. I think it's better then singing "Happy Birthday" three times in my humble opinion.

Kind of remember this childhood song about something we should all be doing. It goes something like this with a little help from the folks below to maintain your timing, and you ONLY have to sing it twice (I do what I can to help.)...
:party:
WASH, WASH, WASH YOUR HANDS gently in the stream, merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream. Yes it is! :doh: :p :D

Regards,
Pat

DRG April 12th, 2020 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pat.

Sorry to hear about your wife's friend. You are the first person I know that has known anyone who knew anyone that had Covid let alone die from it.

The TYPE 16 MCV uses the VB1 Centauro / Vextra / Rooikat series of Icons because they are nearly identical top down though the 16's hull should be a bit longer and the front end less angled but at the time I was just looking for something "close enough" and that fit the bill but I *may* give it, it's own Icon.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/attac...1&d=1586702457

FASTBOAT TOUGH April 12th, 2020 12:09 PM

Don,
We thank you. Like I said given my work environment and her lose, it just brought it all a little to close to home.

I meant what I said about the TYPE 16 MCV. I truly believe we got the stats as good as we can get pending (Which I hope won't be pending at all.) further newer data.

The following might be of some interest from the 3D drawings and some data on the gun and ammo, which I'm sure you already had anyway and might be of some value to others though.
https://aw.my.games/en/news/general/...nt-type-16-mcv

I have set up one of my long campaigns (23 Battles) with my core made up of a platoon each of TYPE 90 and TYPE 16 MCV supported by 2 TYPE 96 Mech platoons with artillery support.

Player 2 & 4 Russia/3 China. First battle against China "Meeting Engagement" jungle environment.

I'll report my impressions in this thread on the TYPE 16 MCV after a handful of battles have been fought.

Hitting the shower, getting "all excited" about that at home haircut to come later today. CINCLANTHOME showed me a picture of Cousin IT from Adams Family walking in the house, caption read
"This is what we'll all look like after the CORNA VIRUS goes away after the barbershops reopen!", can't wait that long and it just wouldn't look good in our BDU's!?! :rolleyes:

Anyway again to all-Happy Easter!

Regards,
Pat

Suhiir April 12th, 2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH (Post 847203)
Don,
CINCLANTHOME showed me a picture of Cousin IT from Adams Family walking in the house, caption read
"This is what we'll all look like after the CORNA VIRUS goes away after the barbershops reopen!"

Male pony tails and buns will be the new style!

FASTBOAT TOUGH April 13th, 2020 09:19 PM

First to the last post: That ain't happening!?! :D

I usually get a "Flat Top", but needs to know his business when you get one of those. My Marine "buddy" will appreciate the fact that my barber is a Ret. Marine (Though their really isn't such a thing!) but like the rest of the country, the barbershops are closed.

So after Easter Dinner my son had brought over his clippers and armed with a copy (Front Cover) of the movie "JARHEAD" used the picture of actor Jake G. and followed along.

The end result, I'll be looking "Bxx Axx" when I go back to work tomorrow with "Dam Fine" looking "Jarine" haircut!!!! And of course a professional looking BDU uniform (Thanks CINCLANTHOME!) to boot!!! :cool: :p

So after 6 hours on the phone to straighten out a couple of issues/dinner and a nice walk, I came across the following ref below. Don knows well that over the years if the information shows up, I post any data I get concerning equipment we've worked on together to get the game, when it actually goes into FOC or is so very close, as we don't need to change the dates on it.

This is the case below.

I would direct you first to either this thread Page 94/Post 940 (In 10/19) or The Fastboat Patch Page Thread (TFPPT), Page 24/Post 240 (All reviewed again BEFORE resubmission). Though I believe there were a couple of others involved, the date issue has always been a problem out here (Just look at the three pages and a couple of other separate (One dealing with the K2 PIP) ones in TFPPT almost 90% of what was submitted required a date change at minimum.

So Don join me in a "victory lap" concerning the Russian T-90M, I couldn't got it better if I "Was a fly on the wall"!!

I'm standing by the START, they'll be equipped plenty enough by then based on the ref. below, the "party has started".
https://www.armyrecognition.com/apri...tle_tanks.html

Hard Work/Good Data/Interpolating It/Taking your TIME with it/Drawing a Unemotional but Rational Conclusion of the Data to make a Decisive Decision Concerning it/Then of course being able to convince Don! :D

Going to enjoy the rest of my "off" evening!

Regards,
Pat

MarkSheppard April 26th, 2020 01:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
GD has unveiled their entry for the US Army Light Tank Competition:

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-...ics-submission

On Thursday, General Dynamics Land Systems unveiled its light tank candidate for the service's Mobile Protected Firepower (MPF) program during a visit from Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy to the defense contractor's Detroit facility.

The Army had previously selected GDLS and BAE Systems in December 2018 to deliver 12 MPF prototypes apiece to the service for operational testing and evaluation under two rapid prototyping contracts that totaled more than $750 million.

GDLS's MPF offering combines the tried-and-true M1 Abrams turret design with a chassis that's based on designs developed for the company's AJAX family of light armored vehicles.

According to Army Recognition, the turret architecture showcased during McCarthy's visit on Thursday uses a M1A2 Sep V3 fire control system and Commander's Independent Thermal Viewer (CITV) married to an 105 mm cannon and a 12.7 mm heavy machine gun.

BAE had in March 2019 showcased an MPF technology demonstrator that, based on the M8 Armored Gun System, comes equipped with an 'Iron First' active protection system, Defence Blog reports.

--------------------------------

It'll all get cancelled! :angel

Imp April 27th, 2020 12:09 AM

Its horrific the cost of US cancelled or delayed military projects is more than many countries defence budget. I particularly love the delays cost by states wanting the jobs in their state.These can easily add 20% to the cost it would have been far cheaper to give the workers benefit. Generating reports for a couple of mil on a problem instead of tackling it is another great one.

RC4 April 27th, 2020 04:36 PM

FASTBOAT TOUGH

Pakistan just leacked receiving first of 298 VT4 improved with new FY-IV ERA, claimed at defeating new Tandem Warheads.
Absolutly confirmed by two Pak Army Officers

Credit to @LKJ86 from Chinese Defence Forum Section

Latest VT4 battle tanks delivered to foreign buyer: report
Source:Globaltimes.cn Published: 2020/4/27 2:24:48

A Thai army's newly purchased Chinese-manufactured VT4 main battle tank deploys during a simulated warfare exercise at the Royal Thai Army Cavalry Center in Saraburi Province, Thailand, in 2018. File Photo: IC

China is delivering two customized VT4 main battle tanks to an undisclosed foreign buyer.

Transported by trucks, two VT4 tanks left for their destination following a launch ceremony, Weihutang, military affairs column affiliated with China Central Television, reported on Friday, citing a video released by the Inner Mongolia First Machinery Group under the state-owned China North Industries Group (NORINCO).

The tanks are not the standard VT4 version and instead are equipped with a different turret boost design. The front design features a new explosive reactive armor, Weihutang said.

This upgraded VT4 offers enhancements with extra protection capabilities, the report said, citing military experts.

Further details on the deal have not been released, such as the purchase amount, overall value, and client name.

Also known as the MBT3000, the VT4 is a new generation of made-for-export combat tank designed for the international market, Weihutang said, noting that it is one of the most popular Chinese weapons available and has been sold to Thailand and Nigeria.

The VT4 is equipped with a 125-millimeter smoothbore gun, can fire armor-piercing fin-stabilized discarding-sabot (APFSDS), high explosive anti-tank cartridges, and missiles with a 5-kilometer range.

Equipped with a China-made 1,200-horsepower diesel-fueled engine and a hydromechanical drive system, the VT4 can travel at a maximum speed of 70 kph and a maximum cross-country speed of 50 kph.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1186834.shtml

Congrats for Pakistan, they get the most latest version of VT-4 MBT

Chinese VT4 tank fitted with FY-IV ERA Explosive Reactive Armour against Tandem Warhead ammunition
POSTED ON FRIDAY, 24 APRIL 2020 15:41

According to new pictures published on April 22, 2020, to the China Defense Blog, the latest version of Chinese-made Main Battle Tank (MBT) VT4 is now protected with new armor ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor) Level FY-4 providing protection against Tandem Warhead ammunition. According to our previous analysis, the first version of the VT-4 MBT was fitted with ERA level FY-2.

Chinese VT4 main battle tank with ERA armor Level FY-IV mounted at the front of the hull. (Picture source China Defense Blog)

The VT4 MBT (Main Battle Tank) is now in service with four armed forces in the world including China, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Thailand. The VT4 also called MBT-3000 is a third-generation Main Battle Tank (MBT) designed, developed and manufactured in China by NORINCO (China North Industries Corporation).

The VT4 MBT was unveiled by the Chinese defense industry in November 2019 during the China International Aviation & Aerospace or Zhuhai AirShow. The layout of this tank is very similar to the Russian tank with a crew of three including driver, commander and gunner and the use of an automatic loading system for the main armament.

The main armament of the VT4 / MBT-3000 consists of a 125 mm smoothbore gun fitted with a thermal sleeve and fume extractor. It is fed by an automatic loader that holds a total of 22 projectiles and charges which can be loaded at the rate of eight per minute. One 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun is mounted to the right of the main armament, while on the commander's cupola is mounted a remote weapon station armed with a 12.7mm heavy machine gun that can be used to engage ground and aerial targets.

The hull and turret of the VT4 are of welded steel construction with a layer of composite armor over the front arc. The first version of the tank was fitted with additional ERA (Explosive Reactive armor) Level FY-2 providing protection against HEAT (High-Explosive Anti-Tank) and APFSDS (Armour-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot) ammunition. According to the latest pictures released on the Internet, the latest variant of the VT4 is now fitted at the front of the hull with ERA armor Level FY-4 providing protection against Tandem Warhead.

Close view of the ERA armor Level FY-IV mounted at the front of the VT4 main battle tank (Picture source China Defense Blog)

Currently, China produces four Level of ERA armour including the FY-I with protection against HEAT ammunition, the FY-II with protection against HEAT, APFSDS ammunition, the FY-III with protection against HEAT, APFSDS and tandem warhead ammunition and the FY-IV providing protection against HEAT, APFSDS and tandem warhead ammunition but with 85 mm thick armour blocks for the FY-IV and only 75 mm for Level III. The ERA armour consists of steel blocks with C4 explosives inside.

Reactive armour is a type of vehicle armour that reacts in some way to the impact of a weapon to reduce the damage done to the vehicle being protected. It is most effective in protecting against shaped charges and specially hardened kinetic energy penetrators. The most common type is explosive reactive armour (ERA), but variants include self-limiting explosive reactive armour (SLERA), non-energetic reactive armour (NERA), non-explosive reactive armour (NxRA), and electric reactive armour.

A high-explosive anti-tank (HEAT) warhead is a type of shaped charge explosive that uses the Munroe effect to penetrate thick tank armor. Armour-piercing fin-stabilized discarding sabot (APFSDS) is a type of kinetic energy penetrator ammunition used to attack modern vehicle armour. As an armament for main battle tanks, it succeeds armour-piercing discarding sabot (APDS) ammunition, which is still used in small or medium caliber weapon systems.

Tandem warheads are effective against reactive armour, which is designed to protect an armoured vehicle (mostly tanks) against anti-tank ammunition, missiles and rocket. The first stage of the weapon is typically a weak charge that either pierces the reactive armour of the target without detonating it leaving a channel through the reactive armour so that the second warhead may pass unimpeded, or simply detonating the armour plates causing the timing of the counter-explosion to fail. The second detonation from the same projectile attacks the same location as the first detonation where the reactive armour has been compromised. Since the regular armour plating is often the only defence remaining, the main charge (second detonation) has an increased likelihood of penetrating the armour.

Chinese-made ERA armour level (Picture source Twitter)

https://www.armyrecognition.com/wea....mmunition.html