.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Query for Don and Andy. (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=52920)

TDR October 14th, 2022 04:39 AM

Query for Don and Andy.

In light of the, what I would call odd performance of the Russian military, in Ukraine is there a consideration of readjusting the various attributes of the Russians with in the game engine?

What has occurred in the Ukrainian conflict indicates something is not right on the Russian side. Simply either poor leadership, moral, tactical, or just idiots. I don’t know.

The current situation, real life, seems to suggest the game may be over rating the Russians.

I am not arguing/discussion the rights or wrongs of the conflict but the apparent collapse of the Russian military and how this may relate to the game including and post 2022.

Cheers

DRG October 14th, 2022 09:51 AM

Re: Query for Dan and Andy.

There were Morale and experience changes to the last update to a number of nations including Russia and Ukraine

webego October 14th, 2022 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDR (Post 853249)
I am not arguing/discussion the rights or wrongs of the conflict but the apparent collapse of the Russian military and how this may relate to the game including and post 2022.

Cheers

Are the Russians losing? ))

TDR October 14th, 2022 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webego (Post 853251)

Are the Russians losing? ))

In some respects Operation Barbarossa was better organised.

Russia winning/losing your choice, I have no idea.

Aeraaa October 15th, 2022 03:39 AM

When the war is over and somebody wins or loses, then we can have a better understanding of each military's performance. Until then we're relying on 21st century equivalents of the Signal magazine.

Just my 2 cents.

TDR October 15th, 2022 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeraaa (Post 853253)
When the war is over and somebody wins or loses, then we can have a better understanding of each military's performance. Until then we're relying on 21st century equivalents of the Signal magazine.

Just my 2 cents.

Try "Institute for the Study of War" at https://www.understandingwar.org

Interesting but…

TDR October 15th, 2022 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 853250)
There were Morale and experience changes to the last update to a number of nations including Russia and Ukraine

Thanks. I forgot to do the update :)

Dion October 15th, 2022 02:42 PM

It seems that are no major powers in the modern world. Countries that were considered minor powers years ago are on par with countries that are considered major powers today. Look what happened with the U.S. in the Vietnam War, the U.S.A. was considered one of the most powerful nations on earth, if not the most powerful, and the Vietnamese stopped them cold like a goal line stand in football. Relativity speaking, offensive capabilities ain't what they used to be years ago because most countries have them too.

MarkSheppard October 15th, 2022 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dion (Post 853256)
It seems that are no major powers in the modern world. Countries that were considered minor powers years ago are on par with countries that are considered major powers today. Look what happened with the U.S. in the Vietnam War, the U.S.A. was considered one of the most powerful nations on earth, if not the most powerful, and the Vietnamese stopped them cold like a goal line stand in football. Relativity speaking, offensive capabilities ain't what they used to be years ago because most countries have them too.

I'd like to point out something:

US took
50,000~ deaths over 3 years in Korea
58,000~ deaths over the eight years or so of Vietnam

Soviets took about 15,000 over 9 years in Afghanistan

Putin's Russia has speed run their way to Vietnam/Korea level deaths in about six or seven months. :eek:

Suhiir October 16th, 2022 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dion (Post 853256)

Keep in mind Vietnam was micro-managed by politicians. And Westmorland didn't seem to realize a guerilla war requires different tactics/objectives then a conventional one. Lastly the corruption seen in South Vietnamese politicians/senior military commanders was nearly unbelievable.

What is surprising is that it took so long for the politicians to realize it was a lost cause.