.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Armageddon (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=40893)

Executor October 15th, 2008 11:25 AM

Armageddon

Can two armageddons be cast on the same turn, do both of them have effect? And how many armageddons would it take to "purge" the map, give or take a few?

lch October 15th, 2008 11:47 AM

Re: Armageddon

I haven't tested the first, but I suppose it can be cast multiple times just like any other spell. Armageddon works just like Volcanic Eruption on every province in the game, I believe, so it kills a third of the population and you can't really get the values to zero just by using this spell. One or two Armageddons may have a big effect on income, subsequent casts not so much anymore.

Executor October 15th, 2008 11:59 AM

Yes but what I what to do is to kill as much population as possible, and cast some suicide global spells as utherdark. So I think about 10 armageddons would kill about 90% of population. That would mean much less troops and mages, well none actually because of utherdark. The point is to switch everybody to magic only, no sacreds and national troops.

lch October 15th, 2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Executor (Post 645852)
So I think about 10 armageddons would kill about 90% of population.

About 98% of the population, yes. 100*(1-1/3)^10 percent of pop remains.

Mages still require gold, lots of gold. With pop reduced like that and the additional unrest, mages will be extremely expensive. The units that people still have still require upkeep, so nobody will be able to recruit anything anymore. And when finally enough units have deserted, which commanders like mages never do, then you will probably only make enough gold to recruit cheap units again instead of mages.

Psycho October 15th, 2008 12:29 PM

With 5 Armageddons population is down to 13%. With 6 it's down to 9%. And since Utterdark reduces income by 90% after this you will have 1.3% or 0.9% of start income. This will probably mean that nations without sacred troops will soon be without troops as they will desert.

Executor October 15th, 2008 12:34 PM

Let's not forget to mention it would destroy blood nations.

Poopsi October 15th, 2008 12:39 PM

It could work through, if you have a big enough gem income and summonable mages.

I can see LA Ryleh pulling out that one, since they will have to move to void spectres sooner or later anyway.

Psycho October 15th, 2008 12:49 PM

I just tested it. It is possible to do multiple castings on the same turn, but it doesn't kill 1/3 of population. It kills 1/5.

So you need 11 castings to get population below 10%.

Code:

pop remaining = (4/5)^no_of_castings * 100%

1 casting : pop remaining = 80%
 2 castings: pop remaining = 64%
 3 castings: pop remaining = 51%
 4 castings: pop remaining = 41%
 5 castings: pop remaining = 33%
 6 castings: pop remaining = 26%
 7 castings: pop remaining = 21%
 8 castings: pop remaining = 17%
 9 castings: pop remaining = 13%
10 castings: pop remaining = 11%
11 castings: pop remaining =  9%

Still it's hardly worth going over 3-4 castings, especially if you plan utterdark afterwards.

Bwaha October 15th, 2008 01:05 PM

Ermor would love that. All those corpses. I think that LA Ermor would be the race that gained the most. :D

Executor October 15th, 2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poopsi (Post 645862)
It could work through, if you have a big enough gem income and summonable mages.

I can see LA Ryleh pulling out that one, since they will have to move to void spectres sooner or later anyway.

Any clam forging nation could pull it out.

I don't think LA Ermor has strong enough astral income for this, they aren't a very strong astral nation, I think!?