.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Archers,Precision & Shields (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41354)

Illuminated One November 21st, 2008 12:45 PM

Archers,Precision & Shields

Does a higher precision value help archers against enemies with a shield?
The manual says no, but in a battle my shielded troops have been decimated by wind-guided archers. Normally I could more or less ignore them.

Nikelaos November 21st, 2008 01:04 PM

Re: Archers,Precision & Shields

well precision will help but not directly, getting more arrows actually heading where you want the tends to get more past sheilds, also if the enemy archers have crossbows or arbalests they may very well be able to punch through a sheild that parries them.

SlipperyJim November 21st, 2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikelaos (Post 654654)
... also if the enemy archers have crossbows or arbalests they may very well be able to punch through a sheild that parries them.

Actually, the manual seems to be pretty clear that blocking a missile with a shield is 100% effective. Melee attacks can punch through shields if they do enough damage, but missiles cannot.

The exception is a missile with a secondary effect, such as Sauromatia's poisoned arrows. Blocking a poison arrow with your shield still seems to get you poisoned....

Edi November 21st, 2008 01:33 PM

Secondary effects are "on hit", so it's irrelevant whether it's a shield hit or not.

Omnirizon November 21st, 2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edi (Post 654664)
Secondary effects are "on hit", so it's irrelevant whether it's a shield hit or not.

so are flaming arrows a secondary effect? meaning the flame damage will occur even if the arrow is blocked by a shield?

Nikelaos November 21st, 2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlipperyJim (Post 654658)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikelaos (Post 654654)
... also if the enemy archers have crossbows or arbalests they may very well be able to punch through a sheild that parries them.

Actually, the manual seems to be pretty clear that blocking a missile with a shield is 100% effective. Melee attacks can punch through shields if they do enough damage, but missiles cannot.

The exception is a missile with a secondary effect, such as Sauromatia's poisoned arrows. Blocking a poison arrow with your shield still seems to get you poisoned....

i'm afraid i'll have to argue with you there, the manual has an example where an arrow is blocked by a sheild but doesn't talk about it in detail, you will notice sheilds have a protection value, this value is exclusively put into action when you block an arrow/other ranged weapon .

(protection from sheild never adds on to body protection in melee, if you win defense vs attack roll in melee it's simply a miss)

Sombre November 21st, 2008 01:51 PM

Man there's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Shield prot value ONLY applies in melee. It is added to other prot values when the def as boosted by the shield is enough to 'avoid' the att, but the base defence without the parry bonus is not.

Missiles are parried by shields or not. Prot value of the shield is NOT involved. At all.

It's true that secondaryeffect poison on poison arrows still poisons the target even on shield parry. However it is NOT true that secondaryeffect always works on hit. Shield parries in melee work to prevent secondaryeffect damage from poisoned melee weapons for example, AS DOES BODY PROT.

Now this may not be the case with ALL secondaryeffects (in fact I'm certain it isn't), but it is the case with poison melee weapons.

MaxWilson November 21st, 2008 03:49 PM

Thanks, Sombre. I've wondered in the past whether the AN 2 from D9 Death Weapons ignores shields or not. The data about poison weapons isn't dispositive w/rt Death Weapons, but it's useful.

-Max

SlipperyJim November 21st, 2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sombre (Post 654675)
Shield prot value ONLY applies in melee. It is added to other prot values when the def as boosted by the shield is enough to 'avoid' the att, but the base defence without the parry bonus is not.

Missiles are parried by shields or not. Prot value of the shield is NOT involved. At all.

In other words, I was right. :D I have resolved to read my manual more often, because it really does have a treasure trove of useful data.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sombre
It's true that secondaryeffect poison on poison arrows still poisons the target even on shield parry. However it is NOT true that secondaryeffect always works on hit. Shield parries in melee work to prevent secondaryeffect damage from poisoned melee weapons for example, AS DOES BODY PROT.

Now that's interesting. So if my base Prot value is high enough, I won't get poisoned by (for example) Tritons with Coral Spears?

Shield parries can block poison damage in melee, but not from poisoned arrows?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sombre
Now this may not be the case with ALL secondaryeffects (in fact I'm certain it isn't), but it is the case with poison melee weapons.

So a Bane Blade will still inflict Decay, even if you block with your shield? Maybe?

What about a Banefire Bow? Will you still suffer Decay if you stop the arrow with your shield?

JimMorrison November 21st, 2008 06:05 PM

The Banefire's Decay effect is AOE, and will trigger whether the bolt is parried or not, so all units within that AOE will have to perform MR check against it.