.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Appcrash (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51506)

Spledge February 14th, 2017 04:19 PM

Appcrash

1 Attachment(s)
SPWaW: purchased CD, patched to v9

After over a year of normal operation, at the end of a campaign's turn number one and before being able to refit units, the program appears to crash. The attached screen-shot provides the information displayed on the monitor.

Any suggestion for what I should do?

Thanks.

Mobhack February 14th, 2017 04:35 PM

Re: Appcrash

This is SPWW2 - absolutely nothing to do with SPWAW.

Crash dump information is meaningless numbers output by Microsoft. It does however tell us what executable crashed - WinSPWW2, not SPWAW, so you are in the right forum.

Restart the game and go to your last saved turn of the campaign and attempt to continue. If it continues fine then the problem was something weird.

Usual culprit would be a disk error - so try running the Microsoft disk check utility and repair any lost clusters etc. You may want to run it overnight if you do the disk surface test as that takes ages. Then load your last save and proceed onwards and see if it goes OK this time.

(The other usual culprit is non-USA ASCII text in text fields or files. If this is a user campaign, it may be trying to load descriptive text with Spanish (or whatever) foreign code pages. Same goes if you edited the leader names with foreign text or loaded a modified OOB where someone put foreign characters in like umlauts.). If you have played about with renaming units in game, and have a non UK/USA/CDN keyboard or have loaded custom files recently - look at these.

If it keeps crashing - Zip up the save game files for that last save game and post here.

Spledge February 14th, 2017 11:19 PM

Oh my.... apologies, apologies.:doh: I didn't have any coffee before writing that post. It was SPWWII that I was referencing.

Your suggestions will be taken.

Thanks!

Spledge February 16th, 2017 12:20 AM

Ok, ran checkdisk with repair options and the same crash occurs at the same place.

DRG February 16th, 2017 07:17 AM

If this is the same campaign that keeps crashing the solution is to start a new campaign. If it was a game "bug" issue EVERYBODY playing a campaign would be reporting the same thing and they are not. IF you are using the stock OOB's then there's been some kind of corruption to the.DAT file. If you are using ANYTHING modified by you...OOBs. pictures, icons........anything like that could cause a hiccup like this. As you said it's been running fine for a year. If it's been running fine for a year the problem is not the game

Spledge February 17th, 2017 07:30 PM

Ahh.... I did make some new units; i.e. modified the OOB. That must be the issue.

If I were to remove and reload the program on my Windows based system to clean things up, how would I do that again? I don't see WinSPWWII on the list of loaded programs in the control panel. {The up-grade file to v9 is saved for use again elsewhere also, as aside.}

Oh well, I'll lose my custom infantry Airborne company in an effort to freshen up the environment.

Thanks to all for your help.

Imp February 17th, 2017 11:10 PM

Just reload the default OOB. The Win programs do not write to the registry you can just delete it like a standard file if thats what you want to do.

Mobhack February 18th, 2017 11:04 AM

The only thing that makes the game crash is "foreign" characters, not in the standard ASCII set. So umlauts, cedillas etc. This is mentioned in the game guide and Mobhack help as a no-no.

These could be in the unit names, the leader names files etc - depending on what you changed.

So open Up Mobhack and change the names for all your new units, formations, weapons to a default for testing - e.g. A for the first, B C etc. Then try again, it may pass the point where it crashed. If so - it was your names used for whatever (unit, formation, weapon). Then go back and put in standard ASCII names e.g. Bluecher not Blucher (with an umlaut).

Spledge February 21st, 2017 08:59 PM

Well, after changing a few unit names as suggested, the game crashes at the same point in that campaign.

Acknowledging Imp's suggestion, but yet still leaning towards starting over with a fresh install instead, what do I do to uninstall the program for a clean slate.

Thanks!

Mobhack February 22nd, 2017 12:25 PM

Is this campaign that is crashing a User Campaign, or a regular WW2 LC, or a generated campaign?.

If It is a user campaign, it may have a bad link to the next scenario. I'd need more info if that was the case - which scenario you are playing in the user campaign, and if possible a save game to debug. If it is not a stock User Campaign, ie one we issue then you would need to talk to the original poster though.

And if the crash is thought to be from OOBs you modified - the simple fix is to goto the default OOBs folder under the OOB folder. Just copy those files to the OOB folder to get back to the defaults, if you haven't modified those. (your campaign will be toast if you used the modified units in it of course).

If you really want to deinstall and reinstall, then the easiest way is simply to Go to the windows menu for the game and select the uninstall option Or simply delete the game folder from where you installed it.
Then you will need to reinstall the game and patches from fresh.