.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Shrapnel General (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New Feature: Thread Prefixes (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=40277)

Edi August 25th, 2008 03:24 PM

Re: New Feature: Thread Prefixes

Thanks! The utility and wishlist things were the most needed ones, all the otehrs I can well live with as is. :D

lch August 25th, 2008 04:44 PM

I'll get to work on this. Only thing that I want to know: will people get notifications from the forum if I edit their top post because of this, or won't they? I wouldn't like it if they do, for something like this.

Ballbarian August 25th, 2008 05:55 PM

From what I have seen, no. They won't get notifications if you edit their post. (The first post of the thread at least.) Edi made an edit to my map list post and I received no notification.

lch August 25th, 2008 07:00 PM

I have added prefixes to the threads in the first three pages of the Dom3 Mods & Maps subforum. Only for the first post, so maybe using it during searches isn't too reliable, but at least you can easily make out what is what when browsing the forum.

I noticed some kind of problem which seems to have occurred during the site transfer, I'll report it now.

I fear the task of adding MP prefixes to the threads in the MP subforum. Maybe it would be easier to write a bot that does it everywhere to all the threads and then remove the prefixes again for stuff that doesn't qualify, by hand. :P

lch August 26th, 2008 08:23 AM

I added prefixes to three more pages. Only looked for threads with attachments this time to speed up the process, so I might have missed one thing or the other.

What would help make this easier, either a button for Moderators to directly set thread prefixes, or a possibility to directly go to advanced edit mode without the simple edit mode (where you can't edit titles) in-between.

Oh, and also, the order in which the thread prefixes appear seems to generated randomly every time. They're not at fixed positions in the list. Very strange.

Mindi August 26th, 2008 08:33 AM

My comments were for Ballbarian who had an itchy trigger finger and wanted to help out. ;) Please don't consider my comments a mandate to go through the whole forum gettting everything prefixed. That's way too time consuming for any one person to do.

lch August 26th, 2008 08:35 AM

Nah, it's manageable if I do three pages per day. We'll have the whole things prefixed after some time. I'd clean up stuff by moving it into appropriate subforums, too, if that wouldn't generate notification mails.

Kristoffer O August 26th, 2008 03:22 PM

AAR's are mainly in the last posts. And they might be more interesting to people than most MP threads. So you could start at the end going forward :)

Edit: sory, it was the mods you were tinkering with, not the MP thread.

lch August 27th, 2008 11:51 AM

To correct myself, it's enough to tag the first post so that all the replies carry the same prefix, too. About a third of the mods&maps forum is done now, I noticed that Edi has joined in with the prefix tagging.

Edi August 27th, 2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lch (Post 634583)
To correct myself, it's enough to tag the first post so that all the replies carry the same prefix, too. About a third of the mods&maps forum is done now, I noticed that Edi has joined in with the prefix tagging.

Yeah, I did. The Mod List in its current form is pretty hard to use, so I figured in redoing it and turning the old one to a reporting thread so any new additions can be linked there and then added to the actual list. The original is WAY over the character limit and thus uneditable.