.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Luck and what it affects (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=48475)

Olm March 1st, 2012 04:06 PM

Luck and what it affects

So Luck cancels 50% of blows and magic hits.
What does that include?
Blows are rather clear.
Direct magic damage also, AOE damage is also covered.
But what about poison for example? Can it only prevent getting poisoned, or does it also prevent the subsequent poison damage?
And what about unresistable effects, like from Song of Power or Life for a Life? Does it work there?
And what with globals like Seeking Arrow or Mind Hunt or Flames from the Sky?

Kobal2 March 1st, 2012 04:57 PM

Re: Luck and what it affects

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olm (Post 797297)
So Luck cancels 50% of blows and magic hits.
What does that include?
Blows are rather clear.
Direct magic damage also, AOE damage is also covered.
But what about poison for example? Can it only prevent getting poisoned, or does it also prevent the subsequent poison damage?

Pretty sure it's the former. If you do get poisoned, just walk it off you ninny.

Quote:

And what about unresistable effects, like from Song of Power or Life for a Life? Does it work there?
I don't know about those, but I did tests with Magic Duel and luck doesn't seem to do squat there. If you lose, you still die. That being said, I did not test it thoroughly - I simply did 3 or 4 tests with lucky guys magic duelling each other, and someone died each time so I called it a day. Small sample size, I know.

Quote:

And what with globals like Seeking Arrow or Mind Hunt or Flames from the Sky?
Per the wiki, luck does seem to protect from Seeking Arrows.

JonBrave March 1st, 2012 05:07 PM

@Olm
I've been asking about this, because I'm Astral in my current.

I think the answer is: nobody knows the exact list of which/when Luck comes in. But you can work on the assumption (I believe) that it comes in about as late in the resolution of things as is available. I know that's not the same think as answering each case, but it's a useful simplification.

While I think of it, your question could also be asked of, say, Twist Fate? (Does that come later than Luck? I suspect it does...)

Olm March 1st, 2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonBrave (Post 797306)
While I think of it, your question could also be asked of, say, Twist Fate? (Does that come later than Luck? I suspect it does...)

I think I read somewhere that Twist Fate always comes last, which would be reasonable behavior.

Corinthian March 1st, 2012 05:40 PM

I know through testing that luck does not work against a) Fatigue damage and b) Instant kill magic like soulslay and magic duel. This is one of the reasons why people thing that Mind Hunt is so powerful. People try to protect themselves with luck amulets that does nothing.

parone March 1st, 2012 06:35 PM

i wonder, if you were diseases, would luck help you avoid additional side effects? prob not, but i wish it would...

Shardphoenix March 1st, 2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

if you were diseases
I`d be something like nausea, I think.
Quote:

would luck help you avoid additional side effects
I really doubt it. Maybe dominion luck scales, but not combat luck.

Kobal2 March 1st, 2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Wait, that's the one I tested against Magic Duel, not Luck ! Sorry, my memory's hazy.

So, anyway, datapoint: Twist Fate does nothing whatsoever to prevent the 999 damage you get from failing a magic duel.

JonBrave March 2nd, 2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobal2 (Post 797335)
Quote:

Wait, that's the one I tested against Magic Duel, not Luck ! Sorry, my memory's hazy.

So, anyway, datapoint: Twist Fate does nothing whatsoever to prevent the 999 damage you get from failing a magic duel.

That's very interesting, thanks.

It also kind of confirms my theory that Twist Fate comes after Luck. For Magic Duel, we've agreed that Luck doesn't get invoked, and Twist Fate then doesn't get applied either.