.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Pretenders' Bible - partecipate! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41287)

Tifone November 16th, 2008 06:30 PM

Pretenders' Bible - partecipate!

Hey there! Thanks for giving a look.

Ok, dunno if it was even tried before, don't think so. Of course some of this, you find in nation-specific guides... Still, I thought it could be fun to start a thread about this topic and see if people shares their thoughts, this might become a fun thread :)

The Pretenders are probably the most peculiar aspect of Dom3 - the most customizable SCs and casters you have access to in any game you play, and which you can design from the beginning in a skill not easy to master.
I'd like to see people (the most experienced the better, of course) make little guides here about the Pretenders they tried and prefer. Vanilla or CBM version (specify)... Talk about either battle tactics or whole-game strategies you tried with or around them, nation specific or generalized: dirty tricks, buffs that worked, unobvious uses, battle placements, ground-breaking end-game possibilities, and how did all of this work... An informal thing, just to write some interesting lines to read. ;)

May it work it could become an interesting tool expecially for newcomers and an interesting voice on the Strategy Index maybe :up:

HoneyBadger November 16th, 2008 06:47 PM

Re: Pretenders' Bible - partecipate!

I like using Titans for watcher-spamming. It's a nice boost to PD, for those Nations which are lacking.

Bwaha November 16th, 2008 07:04 PM

My favorite pretender is a Master Lich. He's immortal, new paths cost only 20, starts with 3 picks in death and has a dominion of 3. I use him primarily as a lab rat. But in the case of need, He can put a world of hurt on an army in my dominion. Oh I forgot, He's cheap too. :D

Xietor November 16th, 2008 09:42 PM

I used the Master Lich twice in my last 5 mp games. But it really depends on what nation I play.

In fallacy, a 22 player ma game, I took a sleeping Mother of Serpents. I was playing Pythium and as Pythium your greatest fear is the early game. And I like the healing ability of the Mother of Serpents with Pythium, as well as the SC potential. Plus Pythiun is a good race to have n4 to keep those old expensive mages alive with shroud of the battle saint. While you usually do not want to have your pretender sitting around healing anything, it is a nice ability to have in emergencies.

I used the Master Lich sleeping with MA Ctis and MA Arcos. Ctis I decided had good enough research that banelords in constr 4 gear were not far off, and skelly spam and Miasma dominion could help with a rush.

MA Arcos you have elephants and paralyze/solar rays to stop a rush.

The advantage of a ML over a lich is he is a rainbow mage. Always take air with him as he needs a robe of missile protection on at all times, unless your nation has air mages or you know you can trade for one.

In Kingmaker, on the other hand, I had la arcos and with all of the EA bless nations in the game, I could not risk relying on elephants to stop a rush. You never know who is goin gto start next to you and attack. So I took a sleeping Lich.

When I play Pangaea, my favorite nation, I always take a Gorgon. In dom II I only played pangaea, but I decided to broaden my horizons in dom III.