.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Flying Archers Gone Wild(ly Wrong) (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45466)

Jorus April 28th, 2010 05:59 PM

Flying Archers Gone Wild(ly Wrong)

I'm playing Caelum and flying archers are suppposed to be one of my (few) strong points. However, if I can't rely on them in battle then I have big problems.

I took an enemy's province, but suffered a bit more than expected. Out of my 80 archers, half were killed and the other half routed to the four winds.

Puzzle: My archers were given the "Fire at Closest Enemy" command but all of the sudden flew and attacked the rearmost/archers. Of course, the archers are crap in melee and got slaughtered - but why would they leave their position??? The enemy cast Rage a few times, but this happened to all my archers.

I have been told that it may be because the closest target was out of range or that my lead archer was injured/killed. Or do the gurus have another explanation?

Thanks, Jorus

13lackGu4rd April 28th, 2010 06:22 PM

Re: Flying Archers Gone Wild(ly Wrong)

if closest target was out of range(perhaps if you put your archers at the very back, or the enemy did) than your archers would have naturally tried to close the distance to their target. since Caelum's archers are flying than closing towards their target would instantly put them at melee range. so yes, that could very well be your problem.

P.S Caelum's strength isn't its archers but its mages, especially if you play EA cause the Eagle Kings are just beastly!

Psycho April 28th, 2010 06:43 PM

No, they would just move forward on foot if they are out of range. Probably the lead archer lost an arm.

Starshine_Monarch April 28th, 2010 06:47 PM

In order to close the distance to their target, I've actually noticed that flying archers prefer to hoof it closer. Not entirely sure why.

Aside from that, it's possible that your archers simply ran out of ammo and the guys they dropped onto were simply the closest squad to them that wasn't already routed. I've noticed archers with ammo change their targets when the one they were shooting at runs, so it's possible that something like that happened.

Euarchus April 28th, 2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13lackGu4rd (Post 742736)
P.S Caelum's strength isn't its archers but its mages, especially if you play EA cause the Eagle Kings are just beastly!

Tee hee hee, I have been "winding" Blackguard up :D

thejeff April 28th, 2010 07:38 PM

The most likely explanation is, as Psycho said, the first guy in the squad couldn't shoot for some reason. If the first guy doesn't have a ranged weapon, the AI thinks the whole squad doesn't and sends them all to close.

He may have lost an arm. Rage may have the same effect, but I've never seen it.
In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it except at the very beginning of battle, so it may only check once?

chrispedersen April 28th, 2010 10:40 PM

Hmm interesting.

New modweapon. Ranged weapon that causes arm loss.
Something like.. "Flesh Reaper arrows..." Very cool against archers.....

Jorus April 28th, 2010 10:58 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.
The archers flew to their demise on the 4th or 5th battle turn, so I don't think they were out of ammo.
If it was a broken arm or whatever, I guess it is a good idea to check your lead unit's health before going to battle - and give him another assignment or R&R.

Jorus

rdonj April 28th, 2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrispedersen (Post 742750)
Hmm interesting.

That... should be doable. And actually they'd be pretty awesome against everything, because every time they do damage, you lose your shield... ouch.

LoloMo April 29th, 2010 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdonj (Post 742758)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrispedersen (Post 742750)
Hmm interesting.

That... should be doable. And actually they'd be pretty awesome against everything, because every time they do damage, you lose your shield... ouch.

Except if you're a commander, you just tuck your shield under your armpit and carry on!