.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps and Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Mod: Fate/Sprite Works (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=42108)

Calchet January 27th, 2009 05:18 PM

Fate/Sprite Works

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a small mod out of nowhere.

I'll explain the background, first - I'm learning spriting for the purpose of finishing the Pax Malazica mod (see signature), and in the process, have been creating various sprites for practice, using the art of the visual novel Fate/Stay Night as reference material. Rather than see them unused, I figured I might as well make a simple mod from them, and here it is.

What it does is add a few (as of right now, six) summoning spells. Each requires a different path, and is found at conjuration research level seven.
The spells all summon single unique commanders, so it's first come, first serve - they have to die before they can be summoned again.

I'd appreciate comments on the sprites as such, mainly, but problems or balance issues with the mod will also be fixed if my attention is brought to them.

To install the mod, simply unzip it into your dominions 3 mod folder - if everything worked out, you'll have a 'fatespriteworks.dm' mod file there, and a folder named 'fate' containing all the sprites.

It should be compatible with most mods that do not use the low 900 range for weapons and armor, the low 300 range for armor, or the low 2900 range for units - I've only confirmed it working alongside CBM 1.4, though.

Finally, an ingame screenshot, to spruce the post up a bit:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/attac...1&d=1233090400

Legal: Sprites and code included in the mod may be considered in the public domain, and may be redistributed or modified as desired, with no need for credit to me or anyone else.

This can be considered version 6.4, with the target final release version being 10, where all content is included and polished.

Download attached below, and updated to version 6.4 that changes some balance around, adding elemental resistances to most summons but weakening Berserker. (He'll no longer have as obscene a protection score when wounded.)

Sombre January 27th, 2009 05:27 PM

Re: Fate/Sprite Works

They have to die before they can be summoned again? I don't think that's true. More like when you summon them again they vanish and reappear.

Calchet January 27th, 2009 05:30 PM

Casting the spell when the unit is already summoned gives a 'No one answered the spell' response, and the unit remains where it was.

(I used the 'Father Illearth' spell as a base, to make sure this was the case.)

Omnirizon January 27th, 2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calchet (Post 670085)
Casting the spell when the unit is already summoned gives a 'No one answered the spell' response, and the unit remains where it was.

(I used the 'Father Illearth' spell as a base, to make sure this was the case.)

on top of that, any gems are still used up, which can be a real downer on some of those high end elemental royalty spells...

Sombre January 27th, 2009 06:12 PM

That's odd. I thought it worked differently for modded uniques. Guess that's only true if you summon them via summon allies or some other method.

Omnirizon January 27th, 2009 07:01 PM

PS.

i like your small print legal notice there :D

i might actually use them. i've already PM'd a mod author or two about permission to use their sprites in Fourth Age. you wouldn't mind if yours make a cameo there?

although, actually i'm really looking for a "universal" sprite for each race that can be dressed up like a paper doll for its weapons and armor. that would be real nice to have for the kind of game FA is.

Calchet January 27th, 2009 07:07 PM

You're allowed to use them however and wherever you like, modified or not, credit given or not, as you like.

They were just made for practice, after all.

Redeyes January 27th, 2009 07:14 PM

Got attack animations yet ;)?

Calchet January 27th, 2009 07:16 PM

Why, certainly, they should be working properly.

The Archer attack sprite is sort of sub-par, being the first of these I worked on, and Berserker doesn't quite convey the movement of the weapon, but attack sprites are present.

Caradryan January 27th, 2009 11:25 PM

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

FATE/STAY NIGHT? EPIC.

Sorry, I just had to gush it. Although it'd be exceedingly difficult for you to work in characters such as Gilgamesh - he'd have a Ld of something like 300+, if we're looking at things realistically.