.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Research by population? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=31757)

DarkHorse November 10th, 2006 06:13 PM

Research by population?

Would it be possible in SE:V to mod research points so that they are generated by population rather than by facilities?

Puke November 10th, 2006 06:35 PM

Re: Research by population?

it would be possible to mod facilities that function based on population level, i think. you could make those facilities basically "free"

Elsemeravin November 10th, 2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Puke said:
it would be possible to mod facilities that function based on population level, i think. you could make those facilities basically "free"

However then you would need to know a function which returns the population of the planet and is usable from facilities.txt file to add in the amount of the research ability.

Would you know such function ? :p

President_Elect_Shang November 11th, 2006 12:31 AM

I spent some time looking over this one. To make it happen you would need the research ability and the formula you would use would have to call on a manner to count the current population of the planet. Let’s call it Get_Current_Planet_Population. Now once you have that you will need to build it into a series of if statements. Something like this:

iif(Get_Current_Planet_Population() <= 100, 500, iif(Get_Current_Planet_Population() <= 200, 600, 100) and so on and so forth.

Note that I am using multiples of 1 million; so 100 equals 100 million population. You could use a straight formula with a multiplier too; however, I am willing to bet that after some play testing you will prefer the “step” increments that an if statement can give.

A straight formula example:

500 + (Get_Current_Planet_Population() * 50)

So now you need to email Aaron with a request.

Suicide Junkie November 11th, 2006 01:24 AM

You could always just make all production proportional to population in settings.txt...

Facilities then represent percentage "focus", rather than explicit factories and such.

President_Elect_Shang November 11th, 2006 04:44 AM

I just had a thought. You should be able to adjust the amount of research generated by adding to the Settings.txt as a population modifier. I haven’t tested this yet but I can’t see any reason why it shouldn’t work. This will have no effect on the research facility so it may not produce the results you are looking for. If you want to give it a try open the Settings.txt and do a find for “Number Of Population Modifiers” or just scroll to the very bottom.

Elsemeravin November 11th, 2006 07:06 AM

Quote:

President_Elect_Shang said:

So now you need to email Aaron with a request.

There is a thread in the modding sub forums about the list of variables and functions to ask Aaron so that we can send him a list in one email instead of 30 requests in every direction.

President_Elect_Shang November 11th, 2006 12:19 PM

I know; however, that sub-forum was created originally when we requested Mindi to make a place were we could discuss actual moding questions, effects, tips, and tricks not wish lists. A wish list would have been more appropriate here in this forum area.

Fyron November 11th, 2006 09:46 PM

President_Elect_Shang said:
You should be able to adjust the amount of research generated by adding to the Settings.txt as a population modifier.

You can't really add new fields to the data files.

President_Elect_Shang November 11th, 2006 10:01 PM

Ok I see what you’re saying. For some reason I was thinking I had tweaked something like this in SE4.