.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Shrapnel General (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New Feature: Thread Prefixes (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=40277)

Mindi August 18th, 2008 04:16 PM

New Feature: Thread Prefixes

I've added Thread Prefixes for forums and subforums. When you create a thread you can now add a prefix to the thread which will display similar to how stickies are displayed. Based on feedback from moderators the prefixes you can choose are as follows:

In main forums:
FAQ
Wishlist
Bug
Tutorial
Tip
Guide

In subforums:
Map
Mod
Scenario
MP
Utility
AAR

Please use the appropriate prefixes in the appropriate forums only. You *should* be able to go back and edit in these prefixes into existing threads as well if you so desire.

Herode August 18th, 2008 04:30 PM

Re: New Feature: Thread Prefixes

Fine addition. Thanks :)

Mindi August 18th, 2008 06:42 PM

FYI, you can also search via prefixes in the advanced search.

sector24 August 18th, 2008 07:02 PM

I responded to your post in the Dom3 forum, but I thought I'd post here too. I edited the Magic Path Booster Guide in my sig and was unable to edit a prefix into an old post. I pressed "Edit" followed by "Go Advanced" and didn't see it anywhere.

Edi August 19th, 2008 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sector24 (Post 632343)
I responded to your post in the Dom3 forum, but I thought I'd post here too. I edited the Magic Path Booster Guide in my sig and was unable to edit a prefix into an old post. I pressed "Edit" followed by "Go Advanced" and didn't see it anywhere.

It'll be right next to the thread title, a small dropdown menu with the various options. I added it for you.

lch August 25th, 2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindi (Post 632340)
FYI, you can also search via prefixes in the advanced search.

That's awesome, by the way. In case it is tagged in the right way, by this prefix, I can specifically search for MP games, bugs, maps, mods, etc. that interest me. Now all we need is that everybody prefixes his threads... :)

Edi August 25th, 2008 01:40 PM

Mindi, would it be possible to make all of the prefixes available in all of the forums? The color codes are distinctive and several of the prefixes are, at least in the Dom3 community, useful in both the main and subforums (e.g. utility, wishlist, bug, FAQ, tutorial and guide ones.

Mindi August 25th, 2008 02:43 PM

The list of what was allowed where was originally based on moderator feedback and how the forums are structured. I have added utility to the main forums and wishlist for the subforums, but there really isn't a reason to put a map, mod, scenario or AAR in the main forums, etc. I don't see a reason bugs should be in the subforums as if it's a bug for a specific mod, etc then it should be posted in the thread for that mod...not posted for a new thread. And unless their are actual threads on how to do a map, mod etc, then there shouldn't be a reason for FAQ or tutorial either...and really those should be stickied instead Now the guide ones need to be in one place or the other. We can add a subforum specifically for guides if the users think its necessary, but I don't want content such as this scattered in different forums.....it makes it less user friendly to newbies.

Ballbarian August 25th, 2008 02:48 PM

I have been tempted to use my
:mean:(((awesome moderator powers))) :mean:
to put prefixes in some of the map threads myself, but I haven't done it.

Bad Ballbarian. Bad. Mustn't use our buttons precious. Only when we needses them precious. *gollum* *gollum*
:hide:

Mindi August 25th, 2008 02:53 PM

Well, since thread prefixes can be searched it would probably be beneficial to make sure useful threads are categorized. :angel

I'm sure most people would not mind your help.