.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps and Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Mod: Prydain, deathborn kingdom (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45323)

Swan April 10th, 2010 07:31 AM

Prydain, deathborn kingdom

2 Attachment(s)
A new nation(EA) inspired by disney's movie "the black cauldron".
Summary:
-likes cold1
-nopreach
-sacrifice domspread
-only one recruit: the cauldron who summon undead
-one special commander: the black cauldron(can't be recruited, you start with it)
-one special pretender: king cornelius(the horned king)
-gurghi, taron and ailin as heroes(they increase unrest, after all they are fighting you)
-It's not an undead nation, priest can't revive deads

if the name of the heroes sound strange, i'm sorry, i used the name they have in the italian movie.
the cauldrons summon work in this way
summon 5 undead each month(longdead/longdead horsemen)
domsummon2(domsummon if is the black cauldron)longdead archers
summon allies 5undead(longdead/deathborn)
your only national troop is the cauldron, which has no magic and can't move, but you have a national gor you can cast from the start
the horned king, your pretender, has #onebattlespell 583(a small army of undead)
your "holy" troops lose 20% of their HP out of their home province, they overwrite blood lord, a commander from a pretty rare blood site.

Graeme Dice April 10th, 2010 11:39 PM

Re: Prydain, deathborn kingdom

It's an interesting idea. I'll have to play around with it some more to figure out how much I like it.

Swan April 11th, 2010 08:41 AM

i forgot to say: your cauldrons can't move and your heroes have domspread -1, they really hate you.

Stavis_L April 11th, 2010 11:10 AM

1) First of all, a nation or nations based on Prydain, or Welsh Mythology in general, is a great idea. The movie is loosely based on the first 2 books in the 5 book Chronicles, and those in turn are loosely based on (a very sanitized version of) Welsh legends and mythology. So, if you want, there's *lots* of additional material to flesh out the nation with.

2) That said, your heroes should *never* be on the same side as the wielder of the Black Cauldron.

3) Unless they have some amazing other attributes, you could just take some misfortune scales and avoid having them ever show up on your doorstep. Or just send them off alone to die in the nearest enemy province.

4) Gurghi is using Ailin's sprite.

5) Ideally, the Cauldron-born should be immortal, and should lose hitpoints the further from the Black Cauldron they get (similar to Hamadryads.) This would be "hard to balance" (tm) but would probably be somewhat similar to the vampires drawn to the Vampire Queen, but with leather armor, normal weapons vs. life drain, and no flying. Obviously your "normal" cauldrons should not be able to create these, so you'd have to create a different unit type.

I think you'd be better off doing a nation based on Arawn the Death Lord (Black Cauldron, the Cauldron Born, Gwythaints, Cornelius the Horned King, etc.) and/or one based on the various opposing forces (the Sons of Don, Dalben, the Fair Folk, the Bards, the Free Commots, etc.) The enchantresses could go either way.

Just IMO.

Swan April 11th, 2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stavis_L (Post 740099)
2) That said, your heroes should *never* be on the same side as the wielder of the Black Cauldron.

can a nation have no heroes? i made them becuase i thought a nation had to have heroes...
Anyway, i'll remove them but i will die a little inside
Quote:

3) Unless they have some amazing other attributes, you could just take some misfortune scales and avoid having them ever show up on your doorstep. Or just send them off alone to die in the nearest enemy province.
Yes that's true, but i'm a fan of hero with a bad side, i did the same in my other mod nation.
and they have some good attributes
taron has a nice sword.
ailin has S3(your only mage).
gurghi is like a markata, just not so powerful. and is cute.
Quote:

4) Gurghi is using Ailin's sprite.
:doh:
Quote:

5) Ideally, the Cauldron-born should be immortal, and should lose hitpoints the further from the Black Cauldron they get (similar to Hamadryads.) This would be "hard to balance" (tm) but would probably be somewhat similar to the vampires drawn to the Vampire Queen, but with leather armor, normal weapons vs. life drain, and no flying. Obviously your "normal" cauldrons should not be able to create these, so you'd have to create a different unit type.
Hmm, in the movie they seemed a lot like normal skeleton we have in dominions with the exception of "away from home" damage but longdead losing hit points would have been really weak.
don't forget you can reruit one cauldron for 120 resources which means 2 turns to build one until you have some provinces around you.
Quote:

I think you'd be better off doing a nation based on Arawn the Death Lord (Black Cauldron, the Cauldron Born, Gwythaints, Cornelius the Horned King, etc.) and/or one based on the various opposing forces (the Sons of Don, Dalben, the Fair Folk, the Bards, the Free Commots, etc.) The enchantresses could go either way.
Just IMO.
It's a good idea but
-i would have to read the books.
-i made this because i thought it was original to have a nation build around immobile unit makers, i've no interest, with all due respect to welsh mythology, to make a nation that would be similar to Man/eriu .
-i have 1 nation to finish now plus EA and LA of that nation and in the free time i've to study for university, so i should finish them before.

1-2 days i will put up the latest version without heroes and maybe a new undead

Edi April 11th, 2010 01:15 PM

If you want to base something on the Cauldron-born and make it a death nation, the name should be Annuwynn, as that was the name of the enemy in the Chronicles of Prydain that Lloyd Alexander wrote. Prydain were the good guys.

I second taking a deeper look at all the five books, because there's a lot more there than in just the Disney adaptation. Or original sources, if you prefer and can get them easily. The entire series is shorter than a single volume of e.g. Robert Jordan, so it's swiftly read too.

Swan April 11th, 2010 04:49 PM

Edi, don't se it as an offense, but screw the good guys.
i've chosenn Prydain for 2 reasons:
1)it gives a link to Man/eriu and tio england, a quicker to get link than annuwynn, without losing the "strange place" feeling
2)prydain sounds better than annuwynn

Like i said before, this is based on the movie, not on the books, but i admit that, seen that you talk good about the books, i may read them.
Still i repeat what i said before: a nation on welsh mytholgy, even if interesting, may(and will) look to similar to MA man

Swan April 16th, 2010 07:07 PM

Tomorrow i will be back to work, i have a question:
What do you think about making the 3 heroes i made 3 different summons(low level) with #onebattlespell to kill undeads?

I made a new undead, sacred, that lose HP away from home, spawned from you original cauldron.
Some balance issue you found playing?bugs?

Swan April 27th, 2010 01:17 PM

ok, i've changed something in this mod
1) no more heroes
2)the original blackcauldron will now be able to create 5 holy undead of great powers, too bad they'll fall apart if you are not in the home province.

I think this write #end to this mod, unless you have some balance complains.