.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Salvo! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Major Enhancement In The Works! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=26248)

Annette October 4th, 2005 06:49 PM

Major Enhancement In The Works!

News Release For Immediate Release

Major Enhancement To Salvo! In The Works!
Open Call For Multiplayer Testing!

Hampstead, NC, 04 October 2005

So you've battled the Spanish, the English, the French, and a whole school of scurvy-
ridden pirates. You've sent ship after ship down to Davey Jones' locker, and made many
a shark happy. And while yes, in the warm glow of the tavern as you sip upon your ale
and reminisce over those glorious battles, all that was well and good you can't help but
feel that you're hungry for an even more vicious foe. You yearn to go up against the
most dangerous game of all--man. Unfortunately in the initial release of Spruegames'
Salvo!, the game of Fighting Sail for both Windows and Mac, you could only go up
against the computer. O captain, my captain, that's about to change!

By far the most requested feature for Salvo! is the ability to play against other live
captains, and developer Spruegames has been hard at work making it possible. The
enhancement is now at a point where final testing can begin and we need your help!
Shrapnel Games is looking for a number of testers (both Windows and Mac) who own
Salvo! and want to play multiplayer games to test out the netcode. It is TCP/IP based and
will allow both LAN and Internet play. Additionally, hotseat and PBEM will be added.

Interested parties can apply for the gig by dropping Mindi Arnesen a line at
mindi@shrapnelgames.com. Potential testers should be aware that a thorough run-
through of all scenarios will be required, to ensure that there are no unknowns when the
patch is released for public consumption. When emailing please let her know what OS
you are running, so we have an even mixture for test purposes.

While the multiplayer enhancement is the biggest feature being worked on, rather than
just leave it at that Spruegames is also adding several other cool features, and correcting
the few bugs that slipped by. Some of these new features and bug smashing include:

* A battle generator, allowing players to select specific maps and ships (or generate
their own fleets), set the weather, and more.
* Battle tweaker. Change ship locations and build squadrons.
* Fog error on some systems now fixed.
* Adjusted damage levels.

Salvo! is a historical turn-based game set during the Age of Sail (17th through 19th
centuries). Players command everything from single ships to whole fleets, as they battle
their foes both on the open ocean and near land. Deftly balancing gameplay with
historical accuracy, Salvo! is a game that is highly intuitive to play, yet features enough
chrome to please any grognard without bogging the game down for naval newcomers. It
is available for both Windows and Mac, and retails for $39.95 through the Shrapnel
Games e-store, the Gamers Front (www.gamersfront.com)

xerxes October 5th, 2005 04:21 AM

Re: Major Enhancement In The Works!

All very fine and splendid, but, when are you going to release the patch that makes the original game playable, ie. gets rid of the macromedia crashes and the improves the appalling performance?

PDF October 5th, 2005 06:32 AM

Ho, that's very good news, I feared nothing was being done due to the lack of forum activity, but it looks rather like *everything* requested was being done *instead* of forum chatting ! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif
Personnally I experienced no crashes and performances are OK if not wondrous, so I'm pretty happy http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Annette October 5th, 2005 08:09 AM

Xerxes, the patch is being tested as we speak and will be released as soon as we feel confident it is ready. Have you tried the test build Andrew posted in another thread? Any information you can supply about the game's performance on your system will be most helpful in identifying the problem and correcting it.

Andrew Lonon October 5th, 2005 09:59 PM

PDF:
You hit the nail right on the head. Iv been putting in a lot of hours to address some of Salvo’s deficiencies. After testing starts – I’ll be posting a full list of the bug fixes and features.

Xerxes:
I apologize for the delay, but I figured that while we were ramping up for testing the original MM crash bug it would be a good thing to go ahead do a full update. (Rather than come back again and try to generate testing enthusiasm a third time.) Oddly enough, the new solution for the MM crashes in Salvo is a bit different from what is on the www.spruegames.com page. So I’ll be targeting folks like yourself to make sure the new fix works.