.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Multiplayer and AARs (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   MP: Acronymless - Started (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=43560)

DakaSha July 11th, 2009 02:45 AM

Acronymless - Started

Ok it is alot to read but i have been wanting to start a game like this for awhile.. It requires a game master and i will take over that position for this first game (if anybody is interested in playing):

1. Your nation is selected randomly from (your) 3 choices and is anonymous to all other players and must remain anonymous until you are knocked out. You must try to remain anonymous to the best of your ability (no pretender names that give you away due to past games or personality traits for example). Also PLEASE DO NOT give away who you are in the thread (think about what you are saying :P ). If you must say something (due to rule breakage, needing an extension or anything) that would give up your identity please PM me. I am hosting this game and will gladly answer and/or take any kind of action necessary

Please report anybody who gives up their identity.

If you want to play you send the gamemaster (me) your three choices. You can specify which ones you prefer.

Posting that you want to play in thread (do not name your choices) is optional.

When a nation is on multiple players wish list it will be randomly decided who receives said nation. Preference will be taken into account.

If for some reason a player does not win any rolls for his/her three (disputed) nations then he/she will be informed via PM to make another choice.

Why: I want all players to start the game with a clean record. Actions in former games will not be taken into account while playing. The way you are perceived will be solely due to your actions in this game (or others misconceptions). Also it is just interesting having no idea who you are up against.

2. Diplomacy is legal but must be completely in-game. No use of any other methods including the forum or messengers. You could only do this by breaking rule 1 anyways ;)

Why: First off the forum PM system although more powerful just gets on my nerves. It acts as an extension of the game and people wait to send in their turn because they are waiting for answers from others... It seems out of place (in my opinion of course). I like the idea of handling everything going on in that game with the games interface. I think it will speed things up. Start turn.. read messages... answer some...do turn... answer others... done.

I also think the in game system, although aggravating at times, is more realistic (which is why its aggravating :P ). Messengers take time to get to the other leader and set up meetings. Then it takes more time to get back to you...and so on.

Any large scale diplomacy (which can be handled by sending to more than one person) would take a long time to go through. Lets say somebody casts utterdark and alot of players want to get together to dispell it.. Well it will probably take at least half a year game time... Which is a pretty realistic time frame to do something of that magnitude.

No quitting because you lost a battle. It happens. It is not the end of the world and you can probably make a come back. I'm not going to say that you have to fight to the bitter end (although it would be nice) but please play if you have a chance. I mean come on don't you want to make your enemys life as hard as possible even if they will eventually win? ^^ Make them pay for defeating you. If everybody held to this rule people would think twice about starting wars ;)

4. Roleplaying is a must. I don't ask that you speak in 'thous' because its kinda wierd but just stay in character (all you have to do is act like the leader/god of a nation. Thats it ;) Don't speak of the game as if it were a game. This also helps reduce giving yourself away)

5. Being able to speak english is not a rule because discrimination is no fun but it will be of more importance than usual i would think.

Settings(for this specific game):

Server: Llamaserver
Era: Middle Age
Mods: CBM 1.5, Streamers and Standards
Magic Research: Depends on Size
Special Site Frequency: Default
Indie strength: 5
Score Graphs: Off
HOF Entries: Depends on Size
Random Event Frequency: Common
Money, Resource, Supply Multiple: Default
Starting Provinces: 1

7. Extensions are of course allowed. Subbing is also permitted but the same rules apply to the sub. When the nation is knocked out both players will be mentioned. PM me in either circumstance. DO NOT post in thread. I will do so.

This should go without saying but no collaboration is allowed. If you and your friend happen to play please still stay anonymous. I have psychic abilities and will kill a kitten if you don't follow this one.

---

I will call it:

Anonymous-Nations-InGame-Diplomacy-No-Premature-Quitting

aka

ANIDNPQ... which sucks... so if somebody thinks of a better acronym let me know ^^

I think thats it.. maybe i missed something and will have to add on.

I understand this would not appeal to everybody (especially due to the diplomacy restrictions) but if you are interested in joining just PM me your three nation picks and ill update this post to let all know how many have signed up. We will start play when either:

a) all slots are full. unlikely to happen
b) a week has passed (except if there are less then 5 players)

Rules subject to change :P

edit:
If you can think of any thing that need to be changed or have any ideas that would make the experience more enjoyable (allowing forum PMs doesnt count :P) please let me know :)

Players Left: 10/11

coobe July 11th, 2009 04:07 AM

Re: Acronymless - Newish Game Type (I think)

sounds great, since i also really dislike forum diplomacy....

count me in!

DakaSha July 11th, 2009 06:14 AM

2 players so far :)

GrudgeBringer July 11th, 2009 07:36 AM

Sounds GREAT...wish it was EA, have gotton kinda wore out in MA.

GOOD LUCK Gentlemen!!!:D

DakaSha July 11th, 2009 07:51 AM

i just picked MA due to it being the first game. 3 players so far. if you still want to play despite MA just send a PM GB :)

I will also list the nations chosen so far (edit: no i wont because it gives away info... in future games i will make it a rule to not say if you are joining in the thread. fine for this though because its the first and opinions are appreciated :) )

Sil July 11th, 2009 03:28 PM

After a few more players join I think it would be safe to show the chosen nations. Just don't let anyone say in the thread that they've changed their picks(or don't let people change picks). Since we each pick 3 nations when you just drop 12-15 choices it won't really give anyone much of an idea of who is who. If people want to cheat there would be much easier ways of doing it.

DakaSha July 11th, 2009 06:49 PM

4 players.

when there are 5 i guess i can list them yes

kianduatha July 12th, 2009 02:41 AM

If you don't mind someone (very) new to multiplayer, I'd love to join.

DakaSha July 12th, 2009 04:32 AM

ok we have the minimum player count of 5. Have listed the picks

Morpf July 12th, 2009 07:56 AM

count me in^^

i'll send you my picks