.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Fixing up Tartarians ? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45334)

Ragnarok-X April 11th, 2010 11:37 AM

Fixing up Tartarians ?

Is there any way to fix up Tartarians ? Healer-ability and GoH only work on non-undead, correct?

Foodstamp April 11th, 2010 11:39 AM

Re: Fixing up Tartarians ?

GoH and the Chalice work on Tarts. You are correct about the healer ability.

GrudgeBringer April 11th, 2010 03:33 PM

How about Arcos Priestess....will she heal the feeble mind and other afflictions on Tarts?

Frozen Lama April 11th, 2010 03:34 PM

no. like foodstamp just said, healers don't work

Belac April 12th, 2010 10:51 AM

In order to balance Tartarians and prevent the game from becoming a race for the chalice/GoH, I would like to see (although it really couldn't be modded in) afflictions replaced by progressive Shattered Soul. So Tarts start off with Shattered Soul 25, and every turn have a (drn minus drn) added to their Shattered Soul, so eventually they become 100% insane and need to be put down, but everyone's in the same boat with them.

Dimaz April 12th, 2010 11:03 AM

This will make the race even more important, since you'll need more fresh Tarts each turn to compete with growing insanity. If you will be able to secure pool of unreasoned tarts without afflictions by winning the race, you will be ahead of others even more than now.

FAJ April 12th, 2010 11:12 AM

Will fairy queens not heal Tarts? I could have sworn that they do; in a game now I have 2 set to always heal, and monthly-ritual tart casters. I am getting lots of affliction free tarts, although I havent been keeping track of whether I am just summoning them that way, or if ones I have sitting around are being healed.

EDIT -

Couldn't tarts be balanced by just making them more expensive? Or would that just increase the gap between huge death income nations vs medium/low death income races? Maybe give them a small chance per turn to be called back to tartarus? Make them even less reliable?

Belac April 12th, 2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimaz (Post 740239)
This will make the race even more important, since you'll need more fresh Tarts each turn to compete with growing insanity. If you will be able to secure pool of unreasoned tarts without afflictions by winning the race, you will be ahead of others even more than now.

But if you have a D7 caster, getting more tarts isn't the hard part. 10 D gems is really minimal compared to the cost of other SCs. The nation with the best Tarts will still have a substantial advantage, but not as big of one as the nation with the Chalice or GoH does now.

Sombre April 12th, 2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAJ (Post 740241)
Couldn't tarts be balanced by just making them more expensive? Or would that just increase the gap between huge death income nations vs medium/low death income races? Maybe give them a small chance per turn to be called back to tartarus? Make them even less reliable?

You would think right? Or just making them less powerful. But no, people always go for the sideways attempts to balance them. Make them mad, make GoR more expensive, make the equipment they use more expensive, make death boosters more expensive.

I think people inherently enjoy tarts being stupidly cost effective. Even as troops they're a bargain.

13lackGu4rd April 12th, 2010 12:28 PM

tarts are just silly. for only 10 death gems you get the *best* summonable troop possible, and with further investment(GoR, items, GoH/Chalice) you get the *best* SCs and very diversified magic paths! the only balancing factor is that everyone has access to them, and death magic isn't that hard to bootstrap into even with no death magic.

however I must disagree with you guys that making them more expensive will balance them. quite the contrary Imho. making them more expensive means that nations with no death at all(besides bootstrapping that is) would be at a severe disadvantage due to not having enough death gems to get hordes of tarts. death nations start death site searching a lot earlier and usually also have some natural death income from their capital, so they'd still be able to summon many tarts...

if you want to balance tarts just weaken them Imho. the insanity can stay as long as they're still the best choice for SCs(besides wishing for unique SCs perhaps) and maybe lower their chance to start feebleminded, so even those who didn't win the race to GoR/Chalice would still have a decent amount of non feebleminded tarts to work with...