.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Vanarus, Machaka Lion Kings etc (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=46228)

Spendios September 4th, 2010 07:33 AM

Vanarus, Machaka Lion Kings etc

Hello,

Is there a chance that some days those new nations are going to be implemented ? I know of Vanarus and Machaka Lion Kings but there might be others who were planned but were forgotten :(

Also there a few more kamis units which descriptions are in the files but the units themselves are not done, will they appear one day or another ?

HoneyBadger September 4th, 2010 07:40 AM

Re: Vanarus, Machaka Lion Kings etc

I guess Kristoffer is still considering the idea of someday adding Muspelheim. If so, it probably won't be for a long time...

Squirrelloid September 4th, 2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spendios (Post 756589)
Is there a chance that some days those new nations are going to be implemented ? I know of Vanarus and Machaka Lion Kings but there might be others who were planned but were forgotten

I'd heard of Vanarus (which really, should write itself), but Machaka Lion Kings? Seriously? Can't we get an African nation that is actually based on something from *Africa*? Machaka is already pretty bland and flavorless because its only theme is "Giant Spiders!!!1!1!!!one11!!1!", which has nothing to do with anything involving african mythology.

I confess, if this was Warcraft I wouldn't even bat an eye. But with the depth of many of the other nations, Machaka is outstandingly shallow. So the last thing we need is another poorly conceptualized machaka that seems to be based on a Japanese anime (ripped off by Disney to be an animated feature) more than anything else.

Gregstrom September 4th, 2010 10:13 AM

That's an awful lot of judgement based on a simple name, isn't it?

HoneyBadger September 4th, 2010 10:16 AM

Actually, I get the strong impression that Machaka is based on the pulps. As in, King Solomon's Mines (or atleast Solomon Kane).

Not true to African mythology, ofcourse, but then neither is R'lyeh true to Lovecraft...

13lackGu4rd September 4th, 2010 11:13 AM

heck, instead of African mythology why not base it on the most famous warrior tribe of Africa, the Zulus? just like Mictlan is based on the Aztecs, Marignon on the Spanish Inquisition(with territorial mixture of France as well for some odd reason), etc. would certainly be a lot better than giant spiders and wannabe Greek Hoplites in the hot desert sun...

rdonj September 4th, 2010 11:45 AM

I'm with gregstrom on this. We should really try to tone the criticism down just a hair. Ideas about what you'd like to see are a lot better and more useful for a developer than just saying "I hate this idea".

Jarkko September 4th, 2010 02:15 PM

Err... whut? What lore could possibly could be more african than the stories on Anansi the Spider? The originally west-african spider stories (usually featuring Anansi the Spider, who is part of the time spider and part of the time human), which have spread across the continent, to Caribbean and elsewhere (even USA) where people originally from Africa live. There simply is no theme more african than the spider them :)

While lions certainly live in Africa, there is not that well known (at least that I know of) stories and lore of lions. The lion stories are usually of european origins (like lets say, "Lion is the king of the jungle" (lions don't live in jungles)), in the african spider stories the Lion is usually one of the fools Anansi loves to make fun of most. Lions are revered (except in the Anansi stories, where the Lion is the pompous and gullible fool), but could somebody give an example of Lion lore of African origin?

Squirrelloid September 4th, 2010 03:03 PM

Aside from the fact that Anansi is a god, not representative of some race of spiders, I might point out that one of the defining features of Anansi stories is he's a regular spider. Not a gigantic spider. People riding giant spiders has absolutely nothing to do with Anansi.

minko September 4th, 2010 04:17 PM

Giant African people riding tiny lions!