.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   RetLT Scenario issues (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=52718)

RetLT January 20th, 2022 02:45 AM

Re: RetLT Scenario issues

Scenario #298 Vendes

1. British 3-inch mortars have their range set to 3500 when max range is 2550 same as scn 294

2. German "Tiger" is really a PZ4h

3. Nearly all of the "Infantry Groups" which arrive as reinforcements are really mech scouts.

DRG January 20th, 2022 04:07 AM

Quote:

If you can send me the updated version I can retest it.
Send me a PM with your email address

DRG January 20th, 2022 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetLT (Post 851414)
Scenario #298 Vendes

3. Nearly all of the "Infantry Groups" which arrive as reinforcements are really mech scouts.

Looking at OOB's from around the time it was built, that was what was intended. Half normal squad strength reinforcements. Then as now the OOB name for the units is PzAufkl Grp and they are 6 man units and they have been renamed for this scenario

Quote:

Scenario #298 Vendes
2. German "Tiger" is really a PZ4h

That unit has been a PzKw IV H right back as far as I can check. It says "Tiger" but it's a PzKw IV H. Since the scenario plays out OK with it being a PzKw IV H I will rename the unit

Quote:

Scenario #298 Vendes

1. British 3-inch mortars have their range set to 3500 when max range is 2550 same as scn 294

Now correct

RetLT February 2nd, 2022 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scenario #304 The evil upland

Same issues as Scn 295. The US naval artillery is immobilized landing barges

DRG February 4th, 2022 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetLT (Post 850782)
Scenario #162 Gliders at Crete

I landed all of my gliders together but they seemed to be demoralized by all the abandoned gliders lying around and stayed pinned or worse for the rest of the scenario.

Is there a way to stop them from getting suppression points from the gliders?

I needed to resurrect this as it is the next Item on our list.

I ran a test with Japanese Glider units ( because that was the nation that was P1 and I knew they had gliders as I had just redone the main glider )

Anyway.........

I landed the gliders away from any enemy fire. They all landed OK and after landing I moved the troops a few hexes as if setting up a perimeter then ended the turn 6 times

After landing the troops all had 1 suppression which is normal.... after 6 turns at least half were zero suppression so in that test I did not see suppression climb as the game went on.

If ANYONE would like to run some duplicate test... just simple ones and tell us if you see suppression climb after landing when they are not under fire

Thanks

RetLT February 5th, 2022 12:11 AM

Just tried US v Germany 1944.

Landed all and stayed by the gliders. No suppression after 2-3 turns.

Maybe it was scenario specific somehow?

DRG February 5th, 2022 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetLT (Post 851478)
Just tried US v Germany 1944.

Landed all and stayed by the gliders. No suppression after 2-3 turns.

Maybe it was scenario specific somehow?

That's what we started to suspect . It may be where they are plotted to land that is the reason. If I land them somewhere nice and quiet in that scenario they don't gain suppression

However. Landing under constant fire from small arms and 40mm flak is not a recipe for making troops happy and brimming with confidence in their mission and those that planned it. It may be the mother of all "Hot LZ's".

A compound word that starts with "cluster" comes to mind......They literally land into Hell on earth when you use the "historical" LZ's

Thanks for running a test. It confirms the ones we've run

zovs66 February 5th, 2022 09:56 AM

I have created at least three scenarios that use gliders (that I can recall) one might be a good testing scenario AFK but it has operation Veracity in its name IIRC and is fairly small, or I may be thinking of Pegasus bridge and I also did a smaller 1940 German glider one but they are set to land on elevated roads or in fields and the Dutch are in the LZ.

DRG February 5th, 2022 10:01 AM

Don....... it's the LZ's in that scenario. Troops are landing and exiting gliders right into 40mm Bofors and small arms fire and since there are hardly any units that are capable of returning fire and if they do they have the undivided attention of aforementioned AA and small arms.

It's a good scenario to play if you like "a challenge" :rolleyes:

DRG February 5th, 2022 10:38 AM

Did some digging....... glad I did. I have added this to the scenario write up

Historically this is what happened.....

Quote:

: https://history.army.mil/books/wwii/.../20_260_4.htm*
'At 0800 the first gliders, each carrying twelve men, landed near the airfield and on the beaches near Canea. At the same time approximately 2,000 parachutists jumped in waves of 200 each at fifteen minute intervals. Two of every three parachutes in each wave carried containers with weapons and supplies. At Maleme, the parachute troops jumped into strong enemy fire from infantry weapons, em-placed in positions built into the hills south of the airfield. Many of the paratroopers were killed during the descent or shortly after landing. Because of the concentrated enemy fire most of the men were unable to recover the weapons containers and had to rely on the pistol, four hand grenades, and large knife they carried. One battalion of the assault regiment landed too far to the east among olive groves and vineyards near Maleme and was greeted by murderous machine gun and heavy weapons fire. Casualties were very heavy, and the medical platoon that had set up a first aid station in a farm house was overwhelmed by the constant influx of seriously wounded men. The gliders would have been completely destroyed by enemy fire, had they not been covered by clouds of dust which formed as soon as they touched ground.'
........and the scenario pretty much recreates that chaos and the units in the scenario are better armed than the actual troops