.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Wishlist: Game Tools- Create Single Player Scenario (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=43209)

Skirmisher May 25th, 2009 11:41 PM

Game Tools- Create Single Player Scenario

Just a feature I'd like to see.

lch May 26th, 2009 02:21 AM

Re: Game Tools- Create Single Player Scenario

Explain.

Skirmisher May 26th, 2009 02:27 AM

Ability to create single player scenario's or situations. Control over every aspect of the scenario starting point.

Probably not doable with Dom 3, maybe Dom 4?

Edi May 26th, 2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skirmisher (Post 692828)
Ability to create single player scenario's or situations. Control over every aspect of the scenario starting point.

Quite doable. In the Dom3/doc folder there is a file called mapedit.pdf, which details how to make a map in Dominions. It details the various map commands, and certain map commands turn the map into a scenario. This allows quite massive tailoring for scenario construction, just like the modding.pdf detials the commands needed for modding.

Skirmisher May 26th, 2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edi (Post 692864)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skirmisher (Post 692828)

Quite doable. In the Dom3/doc folder there is a file called mapedit.pdf, which details how to make a map in Dominions. It details the various map commands, and certain map commands turn the map into a scenario. This allows quite massive tailoring for scenario construction, just like the modding.pdf detials the commands needed for modding.

Can you also alocate troops using these commands,and limit or remove things that you don't want availible to the player?

Can you compose the content of ALL armies invloved? Can you limit the amount of turns availible?

Can you adjust the ratings of ANY unit? For example suppose you wanted a mage to have more magical ability than you get base or randomly from the game.

LDiCesare May 26th, 2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Can you also alocate troops using these commands,and limit or remove things that you don't want availible to the player?
Yes.
Quote:

Can you compose the content of ALL armies invloved? Can you limit the amount of turns availible?
Armies yes, amount of turns no. Beware that there is no control over special events, so the likes of Bogus the troll may still appear at random if you're unlucky.
Quote:

Can you adjust the ratings of ANY unit? For example suppose you wanted a mage to have more magical ability than you get base or randomly from the game.
Yes, both for all units (recruitable, summons...) and for specific units on the map. You can also change spell effects and add new ones.

Edi May 26th, 2009 04:56 PM

Note that in the kind of cases you are talking about, you need to set certain things in the map file and if you wish national units and army lists to be altered, couple the map file with a mod that makes those changes.

Read the documents in question and then come back with more questions, because you will have a better idea of the capabilities and limitations you are working with.

Skirmisher May 26th, 2009 06:19 PM

Thank you all for the feedback.

Gandalf Parker May 28th, 2009 11:55 AM

In general "Scenario" is majorly broken. It doesnt even work as well as it did in Dom2. I cant really recommend that anyone use the command at this time.

But if you want a quicky list of map commands check out this one...
http://www.dom3minions.com/docs/map_qref.txt

Also check out the command line switches which you can be used in combination with map commands to almost achieve the things that scenario was supposed to do.
http://www.dom3minions.com/docs/CommandLine.txt

Gandalf Parker
--
Experts do not enhance conversation.
You can have conversation, or you can have experts.
Possibly conversation among experts if thats desirable.
Your choice.

Skirmisher May 28th, 2009 01:59 PM

When I wished this post, I was thinking of an ALL powerful single player scenario editor. I understand alot can be done, but not in an intuitive and direct way.

The editor I would wish for would be a new program in essence. Also the scenario's it creates would NOT be usable as multiplayer games,unless you specifically wanted to allow that.

Game Tools- Create single Player Scenario.
Then it would prompt you to load a map (that you made beforehand)

The only designated scenario I've played using Dominions 3 was the dawn of dominions map. It didnt do anything as far as giving the player a decent army to start with.

I want a player to start with a robust custom army right from the git go.

I understand that it is possible to do,just havent had time to delv into that aspect of dominions. It would be far easier to just use a powerful game tool that could do everything itself,and quickly.