.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Issue with new version (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=26147)

RVPERTVS September 28th, 2005 02:19 PM

Issue with new version

I really want to thank again all the people involved in the developement of such a superb game project.

I´ve been enjoying the game´s new features (thank´s again), though I have notice two issues so far wich I want to post here with the sole intention of helping with the game´s improvement process:

1.- When using the editor, the map freezes when trying to scroll around with arrow keys, so far it seems there´s no problem if I use only the mouse, but if I try with the arrow keys the map just gets stucked for good.

2.- After playing the new scenarios the default battle date gets modified to the one used by scenario.

FJ_MD September 28th, 2005 03:00 PM

Re: Issue with new version

Thanks for the eyes on! DRG and Mobhack will surely give a look at these two issues you have met!

DRG October 1st, 2005 11:28 PM

Interesting

Point 1

WHICH map editor are you talking about the regular game map editor or the one with the CD? What sized map?

I do not see movement with the arrow keys at all with the regular map editor and the enhanced map editor scrolls around quite happily without freezing up but I only tested it for <30 seconds. How long did you scroll around?

Point 2

Really? I just tried 144. It's set 1/68. I played a turn then existed and checked both the battle and the editor and both showed May 1954 ( my default ATM ) Could you explain the steps you took and I'll try to recreate this

Don

Fabfire October 2nd, 2005 12:32 PM

Don,

Now that you are back from a much deserved break, I would like to thank you for all the hard work and congratulate you on a job well done. I really liked the improvements in version 2.0.

About this map scrolling thingie:

Quote:

DRG said:
<snip>
Point 1

I do not see movement with the arrow keys at all with the regular map editor and the enhanced map editor scrolls around quite happily without freezing up but I only tested it for <30 seconds. How long did you scroll around?</snip>

I've been testing it quite a lot, and there is NO problem with the enhanced map editor whatsoever. However, if you go to the regular map editor and try to scroll with the keyboard arrow keys, it will freeze - no big deal, because you can still save your map before quitting the editor - the annoying thing is that you'll have to exit the game completely to get the regular map editor working again.

About default data being changed:

Quote:

DRG said:
<snip>
Point 2
I just tried 144. It's set 1/68. I played a turn then existed and checked both the battle and the editor and both showed May 1954 ( my default ATM ) Could you explain the steps you took and I'll try to recreate this</snip>

I've tried, but cannot reproduce it here, as well...

I hope this helps...

FAP

DRG October 2nd, 2005 05:58 PM

Quote:

M256 said:
<snip>

About this map scrolling thingie:

I've been testing it quite a lot, and there is NO problem with the enhanced map editor whatsoever. However, if you go to the regular map editor and try to scroll with the keyboard arrow keys, it will freeze - no big deal, because you can still save your map before quitting the editor - the annoying thing is that you'll have to exit the game completely to get the regular map editor working again.

OK, as I mentioned in my original post I could not get the map to scroll AT ALL in the game map editor. It didn't freeze up ( i.e. work for awhile then stop ) it just does not scroll the map when I try the keys. I can play with those four keys all day and the map does not move for me. I assume from what RVPERTVS and you wrote you CAN get it to move for you for awhile then it locks the screen?? I need to know what mode you are running ( windowed or full screen ) and what sized map ( it may be important )

As a secondary issue it also look like we have lost the ability to enter a batloc number or "500" to get to the map generator once the arrow keys have been pressed in the game map editor.. is that what you mean by "freeze"?

For now, avoid the use of the map scrolling arrows while in the game map editor. The map can still be navigated without problem the "old" way

Don

Fabfire October 2nd, 2005 06:35 PM

Quote:

DRG said:
<snip>OK, as I mentioned in my original post I could not get the map to scroll AT ALL in the game map editor. It didn't freeze up ( i.e. work for awhile then stop ) it just does not scroll the map when I try the keys. I can play with those four keys all day and the map does not move for me. I assume from what RVPERTVS and you wrote you CAN get it to move for you for awhile then it locks the screen?? I need to know what mode you are running ( windowed or full screen ) and what sized map ( it may be important )</snip>

Don,

I didn't make myself clear, sorry. I'm seeing the same thing as you described above.
What I meant was that the map scrolled OK - with the mouse - until I pressed the arrow keys... After that, I cannot scroll the screen anymore (either with the arrow keys OR mouse) until I exit the game. What I meant by "freezin" was, in fact, a screen lock (sorry about that - my mistake) as I can still save the map and exit the editor normally... I am running the game in the windowed mode, and the map size was 60 x 60. But I tried with a 80 x 100 map and got the same results.

Quote:

DRG said:
<snip>As a secondary issue it also look like we have lost the ability to enter a batloc number or "500" to get to the map generator once the arrow keys have been pressed in the game map editor.. is that what you mean by "freeze"?</snip>

Yes. I can reproduce this here. After pressing the arrow keys, the screen locks and if I press the "," key, I don't get the dialog for entering a batlock number or "500" to go to the map generator. But that was not what I meant by "freeze" - I really messed it up and was referring to the screen lock. When the screen locked, I (wrongly) interpreted it as a "freeze"...

Quote:

DRG said:
<snip>For now, avoid the use of the map scrolling arrows while in the game map editor. The map can still be navigated without problem the "old" way</snip>

Yep. I fully agree with you. It's not a major problem, because even if I forget about it and press an arrow key, it is still possible to save the work, exit the game, and restart. No big deal.

Thank you for looking into it.

FAP

DRG October 2nd, 2005 08:49 PM

Quote:

M256 said:

Don,

I didn't make myself clear, sorry. I'm seeing the same thing as you described above.
What I meant was that the map scrolled OK - with the mouse - until I pressed the arrow keys... After that, I cannot scroll the screen anymore (either with the arrow keys OR mouse) until I exit the game. What I meant by "freezin" was, in fact, a screen lock (sorry about that - my mistake) as I can still save the map and exit the editor normally... I am running the game in the windowed mode, and the map size was 60 x 60. But I tried with a 80 x 100 map and got the same results.

OK, I see what you mean now. The moving the cursor to the side of the map will not move the map after trying the arrow keys. However you can still move around the map by clicking on the mini map if you forget and press the arrow scroll keys.

The bug is on the to-do list

Don

Fabfire October 3rd, 2005 06:49 AM

Quote:

DRG said:
OK, I see what you mean now. The moving the cursor to the side of the map will not move the map after trying the arrow keys. However you can still move around the map by clicking on the mini map if you forget and press the arrow scroll keys.

The bug is on the to-do list

Don

Yep. That's it.

Thanks a lot for your kind attention! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

FAP