.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Approaching Infinity (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=255)
-   -   International Roguelike Developers Conference (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=50746)

ibol April 10th, 2015 10:19 PM

International Roguelike Developers Conference

IRDC (International Roguelike Developers Conference) has finally come to America. It's in Atlanta, Georgia, May 30-31st ,
and I will be giving a talk.

:D :doh: :sick:

(mixed emotions, but excited)

so:

1. You should come!
2. What aspect of Approaching Infinity would you most like to hear me talk about ? (regardless of whether you'll actually attend)
3. Seriously, you should come ;)
4. (I don't really expect you to come, I'm just excited!)

Tarkh April 11th, 2015 02:30 AM

Re: International Roguelike Developers Conference

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibol (Post 829301)
What aspect of Approaching Infinity would you most like to hear me talk about ?

It's obvious. How do you try to approach infinity in your game?:) How do various aspects of your game serve to one purpose (i.e. approaching infinity)? And how infinite is your game's capability to grow with your infinite ideas?:)

PvK April 11th, 2015 03:28 AM

No way I'm going to Atlanta, but I would want to hear you talk about the things you've done differently from other Roguelikes, particularly the things that you think other Roguelikes would benefit from. And, juicy plans for future features.

ibol April 11th, 2015 09:08 AM

Hi, guys, thanks!
Tarkh, you are exactly right. I asked Jim Shepard for advice, and he told me this: "what burns in your heart that you think other devs need to hear?"

And the thing that satisfies both those criteria is "Infinite Gameplay". It was obvious... In hindsight!

Future features... you can get that here. You can also influence it :)

Thanks again, got more planning to do...

OrionM42 May 27th, 2015 04:21 PM

So, I see from the IRDC Agenda/Schedule, that Bob Saunders will be addressing the conference for a half hour, on Saturday, Jan 30, at 1:30 pm. (You can visit the IRDC Conference site, by following a link in Tim Brooks' Press Release on the IRDC, located elsewhere on the Shrapnel site.)

I was wondering if the folks at Shrapnel were planning on capturing/recording Mr. Saunders' address? I think some of us would be interested in seeing it. I understand that it may be possible to view it -- live -- via the "Twitch" site/utility, but I, for one, won't be available to watch it on Saturday. Alternatively, if Shrapnel made a copy viewable on this site, I would look at it some time. (Not to put more pressure on Mr. Saunders -- I suppose there is a chance that he might prefer that it not be recorded. ;) )

Anyways, just thought I would ask.

ibol May 29th, 2015 08:33 AM

Hey, that's a great idea. it could be done with any sort of screen-capture software, like Fraps or Action!

So yeah, I leave in <2 hours, will be gone till late Monday.

Here is the streaming link for the entire conference:
http://www.twitch.tv/irdc_usa
(THEY CHANGED THE LINK!)

in my rehearsals, 30 mins just FLIES BY... we'll see how much I can manage to say :)

PvK May 30th, 2015 02:00 PM

Woo hoo! I logged on at just the right time to watch your presentation!

Good job!

plugger July 4th, 2015 12:22 AM

Hi,

Caught up with your IRDC talk on Youtube.

Good job!

It also explained a few things regarding the mystery surrounding the pricing.

Cheers,
Plugger

pzgndr July 4th, 2015 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plugger (Post 830712)
Hi,
Caught up with your IRDC talk on Youtube.

+1

Link @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aio30P4sqE

OrionM42 July 8th, 2015 12:03 AM

I'm so glad that someone did capture/record Bob Saunders' address at the IRDC conference!

And a Big Thanks to pzgndr for posting the youtube link in this discussion thread. :up:

Genuinely interesting Info! ... Because, unlike a lot of the folks playing Approaching Infinity, I had really had almost no exposure to Roguelike games until I bought this one. In fact, I only learned what "procedurally generated content" meant, a couple of months ago, and I am still learning to appreciate what that means for a game design. (I know waaaay more about 4X games, for example, based on 20+ years experience -- My first PC was an Commodore Pet purchased back in 1979 -- :rolleyes: )

Anyways, I am enjoying gaining additional insights into this kind of a gaming enterprise.

Thanks for sharing, Mr. Saunders! :D

[ Now when do we get the next update ? ]