.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Do quickened Masters not transfer all their buffs to their slaves? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=19685)

tinkthank July 20th, 2004 11:03 AM

Do quickened Masters not transfer all their buffs to their slaves?

I have been watching some replays in which my lovely Arch Theurgs usually cast something like
- quickness
- comm master
- aim
- mistform
- body etheral
-spells

But not all of the Communicants end up with the buffs the Master has. I notice that the communicants
- NEVER get the precision bonus (Argh! My lovely etheral crossbows all wasted!)
- RARELY get the body etheral

Is this something to do with Quickness, or am I just missing something?

Norfleet July 20th, 2004 11:45 AM

Re: Do quickened Masters not transfer all their buffs to their slaves?

Quote:

- NEVER get the precision bonus (Argh! My lovely etheral crossbows all wasted!)
- RARELY get the body etheral

Is this something to do with Quickness, or am I just missing something?

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">You're missing something: Neither Quickness, nor Body Ethereal, are spells that have an effect of "Caster". These spells are never transmitted down a communion: Only spells with an effect of "Caster", I.E., caster selfbuffs, such as Personal Luck, Personal Regeneration, Air/Fire/Astral Shields, Breath of Winter, Resist Element, and soforth, are transmitted. Body Ethereal is a spell with a range of 1 and AOE of 1, which means it affects the entire square, and can be cast on people in neighboring squares: The caster prefers to cast it upon himself first, however, so it will affect your comm slaves if they share the square.

Aim, on the other hand, has a range, and the caster will not actually prefer to cast it upon himself, instead targetting the largest group of units with missile weapons in range. It is also not prec-100, so given its range of 5+, the caster may miss his target.

If you want your communion slaves to receive a Prec Bonus, you either have to go with something more direct and globalized, like Wind Guide, or have your communion master cast "Eagle Eyes", which increases precision and *IS* a caster selfbuff, which means it will transmit.

tinkthank July 20th, 2004 12:21 PM

Hey thanks.

I thought Aim was primarily designed to cast on yourself; argh. What a shame! However, I *DID* notice that my Arch-Theurg got a Prec-bonus, so he must have cast it on himself.

Eagle Eyes is a nature spell I think, so that is out of the question; Wind Guide would work, sure, but I figured the communion would be a much better and cheaper way to do the same thing (and also: neater).

I just wonderded if Quickness did something screwy (I know it can mess with your scripts) to Master/Slave.

Ironhawk July 20th, 2004 09:19 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Norfleet:
Quote:

Body Ethereal is a spell with a range of 1 and AOE of 1, which means it affects the entire square, and can be cast on people in neighboring squares: The caster prefers to cast it upon himself first, however, so it will affect your comm slaves if they share the square.
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Mages actually prefer to cast it on your pretender first, before themselves, assuming it is in range.

Endoperez July 20th, 2004 10:34 PM

A pretender with magics, or pretender with high hitpoints? First is nice, the Last one can be irritating... Aim on Wyrm would be rather pointless.

Norfleet July 21st, 2004 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Endoperez:
A pretender with magics, or pretender with high hitpoints? First is nice, the Last one can be irritating... Aim on Wyrm would be rather pointless.
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">I think he was talking about Body Ethereal, not Aim.

Endoperez July 21st, 2004 12:19 PM

Ah, you are right. I knew I should have stopped and gone to sleep... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

Yossar July 21st, 2004 07:52 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Ironhawk:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by Norfleet:
Quote:

Body Ethereal is a spell with a range of 1 and AOE of 1, which means it affects the entire square, and can be cast on people in neighboring squares: The caster prefers to cast it upon himself first, however, so it will affect your comm slaves if they share the square.
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Mages actually prefer to cast it on your pretender first, before themselves, assuming it is in range.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Or hydras. What is their preference based on? Size? Hp? Some measure of overall badassity?