.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Hydra Tamer (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44009)

Immaculate September 24th, 2009 10:01 PM

Hydra Tamer

What the heck is this fool used for?
Can he actually make hydras?

Bo Jangles September 24th, 2009 10:33 PM

Re: Hydra Tamer

No, he can't create hydras, but he has the advantage of being poison immune so you don't have to worry about their poison cloud killing the guy off. Doesn't make much sense to use the Tamers if you just place your commanders properly anyways, but it's thematic, so there you go.

I forget, do they have Animal Awe? Could possibly be useful for stopping elephants, if you are broke and desperate.

Festin September 24th, 2009 10:43 PM

Elephants will never be a problem for Pythium, hydras eat them for breakfast.

Bo Jangles September 24th, 2009 10:45 PM

I know, that's why "broke" and "desperate" were used as qualifiers :)

Sombre September 25th, 2009 07:30 AM

I don't think he has animal awe anyway, no matter how broke and desperate you are.

I'd like to see them actually do something. Possibly have animal awe and a dt_large weapon.

Amonchakad September 25th, 2009 08:35 AM

What about a "summon allies" for hydra hatchlings? That could fit in CBM.

Agema September 25th, 2009 09:15 AM

Hydra tamers are perilously close to useless.

They are useful for the retreating hydra trick: set the hydras near the front with guard commander order, and the commander at the back. They then retreat, leaving a poison cloud behind them. Enemy units move through the posion cloud to try to engage the hydras, and start dying as they chase the hydras to the back of the map. Try that without a poison-resistant commander, you'll have cause for embarrassment.

Could give them a summon hatchling ability. You'd have to increase their cost a lot, as that's a HUGE advantage.

Torin September 25th, 2009 09:44 AM

I was thinking more of a summon allies with only 25% chance of getting an hydra hatchling. or 75% chance of not getting anything.

Amonchakad September 25th, 2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torin (Post 712001)
I was thinking more of a summon allies with only 25% chance of getting an hydra hatchling. or 75% chance of not getting anything.

I don't think that can be done, but I'm not an expert modder.
As far as I know, you can either automatically summon 1 or 5 units automatically(not BETWEEN 1 and 5, just 1 OR 5), give them the ability to spend a turn for 1,2 or 5 units, or use the automatic summoning dependant on dominion strength, but that isn't really thematic for Hydras.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, there could be a way to have them summon Hydra "eggs", but I fear that the maximum incubation time would be 1 month. Still, better than nothing.

Amorphous September 25th, 2009 11:01 AM

Hydra tamers should be able to safely lead hydras on raids into miasma-covered provinces. It is not much, but at least it is something.