Old October 15th, 2003, 04:10 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Damage Types: Pierce, Slash, and Crush

Quote:
Originally posted by HJ:
quote:
Originally posted by licker:
[QB Sure if you spend the time and effort you can get the balance right, but the question is and always should be, what is the benefit of that time and effort? Seemingly the benefit is not nearly as great as some people make it out to be
And I guess that it's going to be your time invested in making that? You'll be only reaping benefits anyway. Don't worry, the implementation is not goign to be the part of the homework, only utilizing the end result.

This is like sending subliminal Messages to the devs, instead of making an argument. And if I start saying "it's a piece of cake", it would be the same thing. The devs invest time where they see fit. A lot of things can be labelled as "sorry, it wasn't worth your time" hypothetically, but who are we to tell them that anyway?[/QB]

Actually yes, it is my time. In as much as we have all already spent time discussing this. In as much as once (if) the new system is out we'll have to spend the time to learn it. In as much as we will all spend time critiqueing it during and after development. Besides who's to say that your 'benefits' are the same as mine? If I see a new system as a threat to my enjoyment of the game I'll be sure to point that out. Now you'll note I wasn't trying to speak for everyone, or even a subsection of everyone, we are all only speaking for ourselves, and while that is normally understood, occasionally its useful to point it out again

I don't see what your bit about subliminal Messages has to do with this discussion anyway. The argument against inclusion of such a system is that it adds needless complexity without a big payoff for that complexity. I suppose by saying that I am also telling them that I don't think it's worth their time to make the effort, but I hardly think that's a subliminal thought, it should be pretty obvious. Furthermore for you to say that it would be 'a piece of cake' (not that you are actually) would be incredibly disingenuous, as most everyone agrees that it would be far from 'a piece of cake'.

Finally we are the paying customers, it is our right (some think its their duty) to tell the devs what we want or don't want, what we like or dislike. In the end its up to the devs to listen or not to the multiple points of view, but I'm sure that they appreciate all the feedback they get, even the occasionally surly replys

Is there some actual point to your attempts to get the anti crowd to stop putting forth their side of the discussion? Other than the obvious one that is... From what I've seen lately there isn't much new coming from either side really, that's why I suggested a while back that people start trying to encourage the devs to somehow make this damage type thing moddable, that should shut everyone up