View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2005, 11:04 PM

Private

VaultDweller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carrier Battles Mod

Here's an idea:

Have weapons for fighters divided between ones that can attack seekers/fighers/small stuff and can attack ships or planets. This is working off of using either fighters or bombers, which I think adds a level of finesse to tactical fighting. Anti-ship weapons would take up large space on a fighter encouraging a specialized design, where anti-fighter/seeker weapons would be smaller allowing for more flexiblity.

I don't think that nerfing Point Defense or ship based weapons is a good idea.

Think about it like this: point defense weaponry is meant to be small, agile, and flexible. It would be insanity for large ships not to field it in some catagory or another. I'd think in a carrier focused environment there would be ships that their sole purpose is point defense to protect carriers and support ships from missiles or fighters that slip past your fighters.

In an environment like this I'd think that ship based weaponry would be longer ranged with higher damage. Reload times would be higher and the weapons themselves would be heavier though. Also, in this enviroment seekers need to be more flexible. Perhaps ships should be able to launch more of them and certain technologies could make them faster, more armored, or some combination of effects. It would keep non-carrier ships important for combat, IMO.

Imagine it like this: Fighters would either play fleet defense or provide cover for bombers. The bombers would attempt to destroy ships before they can fire their deadly long range weaponry and missile volleys at your fleet.

Sorry if that dragged on a bit.