Thread: A long road
View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:08 PM

Sergeant

oragus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A long road

"targets now fire back due to the new laser engagement systems we use much like the American kit."

You gotta love MILES. 4 years experience with those systems out at Fort Irwin, CA. I was OPFOR. I died so many times out there it wasn't even funny. It also helped that I was a important asset that needed taken out quickly to hurt the overall force. If I was spotted, it was OH CRAP....LOL I was a combat engineer. I operated the M48 & M60 AVLBs, the M728 CEV and M9 A.C.E., plus a bunch of other equipment, Dozers, dump trucks, MICLIC etc,etc.. I was the driver, and loader on the CEV. I loaded the 165mm HEP rounds on the move over rough terrain in the desert out there. No easy feat there. tossing around 65 lbs of C4 is not comforting feeling LOL..That is based on the M60A3 chasis. I would have loved to do that with the M1 Abrams chasis, much better ride. Terrain or not, when you are a loader you preform or your dead weither you are stablized or not, you do what you have to do to make sure you gunner can pull his toggles. Like Cusbut said, first to pull trigger usually wins. I know when I was attached to the BLUFOR guys out on there live fire exercises, the M1s were not slowing down to reload or fire. Don't get me wrong if they found a good firing position they would fire from there and then advance, but if they were in open areas, it was full throttle baby. Very impressive to witness and be a part of. My poor CEV could not keep up.. But if they wanted fighting positions by me, they slowed up to keep me close. LOL..... and the same was for there tank tables. Full throttle for most of it. Again like Cusbut said, its all timed and judged. The faster and more accurate you did the better. The competition between crews are tough. Even us CEV crewman competeted with each other.... But any who. That is my 2 cents on my personal experience on this.