View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Corporal

Lord_Shleepy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A million-[insert currency] idea: For free!

Quote:
geoschmo said:
This is an idea I've kicked around for a long time as well when I noticed that my laptop probably never gets's used more than about 50ft from one spot in the house. I'm kind of suprised not to have seen it done. There are wireless LCD TV's on the market where the TV tuner is in a base unit which beams the video signal to the battery-powered LCD screen. You could actually rig something up with one of those as a proof of concept. Just need a video card that hooks up to a TV video input. Add a bluetooth keyboard and your in business.

Maybe there is some technical reason you don't see wireless PC monitors? Would the amount of signal going through the video cable eat up too much bandwith to be done wirelessly and be practical. Have you ever noticed that the video cable is always much thicker and stiffer than the mouse and keyboard cable? There must be something different about the signal.
It's a great idea...but I have a feeling that geoschmo might be on to something. You would think that there would be a significant loss of performance if you take the wire out. Then again...who knows...marvels of modern technology and all...

Then there's always this: Build a desktop with a "convenient" carry handle and slightly longer than average cables then market it as "the amazing portable desktop!" and quietly disappear when the support line starts ringing.