View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:09 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: A computer annoyance - help wanted!

Quote:
Baron Grazic said:
Could it be something like the Anti-Virus software doing an update as soon as you go online and it halts other programs from loading while the upgrade takes place?
Could explain why it takes different amounts of time & no noticeable CPU usage.
This is definitely possible, sounds like something Norton would do. Though I have it set to disable automatic updates... I hardly trust it to actually do so.

Quote:
Fyron said:
Have you tried using an app like Process Explorer to see what is really going on? Lots of stuff can hide from Task Manager, or simply don't get reported in the normal course of things.
I have not, but shall do so. Thanks for the info

A wee bit off topic, but can anyone recommend a program that'll tell me exactly what traffic my internet is conducting at any given time? (My terminology is probably wrong, but I hope you get the picture)

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )