Thread: DAR: Sicily
View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:37 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DAR: Sicily

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenOzz View Post
Wow - you have a much bigger core force than I do.
Mine is about 3000.
I started my core at 3000 points, in September, 1939. As your experience goes up, the exact same core will cost more. At 100 experience, the same core will cost about 4000 points. Also, my tanks in the beginning were PzKw IIcs at 35 points each. In October, 1943, my tanks are PzKw IVhs at 90 points each. Infantry and ATGs have been upgraded, too. I also expanded my core slightly adding things I couldn't afford early on, like ammo tracks and SPAAs. My core now is around 8000 points for those reasons, but it's still just one tank company, two SS infantry companies and some support formations (ATGs, SPAAs, SPAs, recon and a couple of heavy tank platoons).

Quote:
I use my off-board artillery primarily for counter-battery as well. Made the mistake of updating my 10cm K10 batteries into 21cm K39/40 (I think??) and found that no smoke ammo was available.... Arghh - total change of tactics as I rely on smoke to screen my forces.
I use those guns, too, but honestly never noticed the lack of smoke. The reason I use those are the 220 range. I also use the 17cm guns for their 220 range. The guns I use for artillery support are 15cm on-board howitzers with ammo bunker support. Against the AI, counter battery doesn't usually become a major factor until near the end of the battle. For smoke, I use my on-board stuff. Mortars are real good for laying smoke screens.

Quote:
I find that I am a very passive attacker as I too try and minimise losses. I find it difficult to get the tempo of my advance/assaults correct as I take too much time finding where the enemy is! End up with a manic 5 turns at the end rushing to take victory hexes and find they are covered by an AA gun....

Keep up the AAR`s - I will certainly be reading them.
Well, it takes time to get use to losing units. It's going to happen. Where possible, I try to let support units take the lead so if I do lose some, they aren't units I've built up experience in and don't have to replace. After a while, you figure out how long things typically take and can attack faster, but it's always a learning process. I'm still trying to decide how I want to assault that town I have to take. If that wasn't bad enough, I have several streams with roads crossing them I have to deal with, creating choke points with bridges. Once I get this assault figured out, I'll post it out there and thanks for reading