View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:50 AM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Random New Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturas View Post
How does trampling work, again? Is it in the manual? I assume I get to make free 0/0/0/0 attacks until I run out of move. It also seems to cause fatigue - the Golem is 0 enc, but with trample was generating 2-ish fatigue a turn. Not bad, but vs. glamour (Vanheim...) I need lots of attacks with his 9 attack skill to hit anything.
I don't think anyone's addressed this question. I don't know what you mean by "free 0/0/0/0 attacks." The manual details the amount of damage caused by trampling (I think it's (10 + TramplerSize * 2) AP, e.g. 22 AP for an elephant). The number of trampling attacks you get is tied to the size difference between your unit and the trampled units, and as far as I can tell is totally independent of Move (e.g. getting a Limp doesn't hurt your number of tramples). IIRC if you are 3 sizes bigger you get either 3 or 4 trample attacks every turn (alternating), and if you're one size bigger you get either 1 or 2 (alternating). This suggests that you probably get 0.5 + (size difference) tramples per turn, but I haven't tested that to see if it really does generalize that way.

Each trample attack costs you Enc fatigue, so unless your trampler is Enc 0 he will fatigue out really fast against a large army and die. Trampling works best either for 1.) raiding human-sized PD, or 2.) undead/elemental royalty thugs.

By the way, I love the Stymphalian Wings. Trampling, flying, and Fear +0, all in one neat little package with decent Prot. Too bad it's so expensive.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]