View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM

Corporal

Mithras is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3 lore and nation backgrounds !

First I'd like to note that the manual contains some interesting if rather scant notes on the inspiration for each set of nations. I found them quite interesting.

Also now you mention it Alantis is quite an interesting nation. Seeing as the popular legend has it as a technologically advanced nation which ruled the seas from an island, which then sank in a cataclysm leading to the nations demise. While the game (Or perhaps Lovecraft, I'm afraid I haven't read enough of his works.) Has the nation begin in the sea and forced slowly from the water gaining technology (Ice weaponry from the Caleans)in the proccess. At the same time they are advanced enough to take control of isolated Mictlan usurping priestly power quiet quickly.

There's lots of interesting subtext in the reversal of he legend, going out from the sea on to the land. The disaster that drives the Atlanteans out of the Oceon isn't sudden, it is slow and unstopabble. Ry'leh itslef is a steady transformation from subtle manipulation and slavery into the very depths of powerful, indiscriminate insanity.I'm sure I'm reading to much into the sub text but the idea of a knock on affect, all that destruction and desperation caused by a falling star a foriegn object...

There's a lot to think/speculate about, and it seems we don't spend enough time doing it! Well I don't certainly.