Jaakko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Albania OOB (55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG
I've copied your info to the list and will look into it later in the year
Thanks, I appreciate that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello
I will try to check but I would suspect they did not bother.
While stabilization systems of that era had some marginal usefulness it was something you could do without, many western tank designs lacked them well into the 60's and did just fine.
In a third world setting it was probably better not having them, what limited maintenance resources were available would better spent ensuring others more vital systems (engine etc.) were properly cared for.
I too would assume there weren't any actual updates, but perhaps "updates" in game terms - such as "newer ammo" from China during the 70's? For test's sake I made a copy of the Type-59 (unit 020), only changing the gun to "100mm T69 Gun" copied from China OOB(weapon 092) and availability set on the estimated possible 1/71. This increases the AP value from 19 to 21 (still one point less than the T-54/55). I feel this would make a plausible, if not presumable, "update".

I see no reason why remaining Soviet ammo would've been reserved for the aging T-54 and T-55, and I see no reason why they should keep on having better AP value beyond the early 70's. Maybe there should also be copies of the T-54 and T-55 units with the gun changed to Chinese ammo.

Also, is it optics or what that explains the better FC value of the T-54B and T-55? As of now it's 5 versus the 3 of the Type-59.

Quote:
The only worthile change would be adding a LRF and a digital ballistic computer. I suspect they could have afforded that only recently, if at all.
Not in the 80's or 90's in any case. Before clear information appears, I'd focus on improving the OOB date of the Cold War era units but that's just my preference.

Marcello, do you have opinions on my questions concerning the other units?