View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:27 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Russia: Dismiss at your own risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
Hmm,
As to what happened to Georgia, I am not against them wanting to get their territory back, but to start a war thinking that the enemy will not fight because someone else could fight on your behalf, is...stupid.
The South Ossetian issue is a bit larger and goes far in the history. Basically they've been a pawn in a big players' chess match for centuries. I read about a year ago a book on Russian history and culture where this Ossetian issue was also considered - mind you that it was written before this most recent conflict! World politics is a complicated issue and the move from Russia can be seen as an answer to the Kosovo issue where western countries supported the independence of Kosovo and Russia opposing it. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo_status_process) Russia saw the opportunity to also liberate and grant independence to a neighbouring autonomous state. Especially as the Georgia was forming strong relations to the West, possibly seeking NATO membership. For Russia this is comparable to what US would think should Mexico form a military union with China.

To conclude my point, the Ossetians have been run over again and again. I hope we won't see more wars on that side of the globe and that we'll be all happy just running the simulations in SPMBT.