View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:02 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "A Song of Ice and Fire", veterans-only game, MA. In progress, midgame...

Oh, enchantresses. I would've loved some. The lack of enchantresses was killer for me. If I had any - I didn't - I'd have had Immortal Elixirs and some other cross-ele or ele-nature items *years* ago, and I'd be in much better shape. In fact, I venture to say, with enchantresses it would be me and not Pythium that everyone would've been complaining about in the midgame.

As it was, although I had every path of magic except substantial air, that was a strength of my nation. It was only recently that I acquired even a good share of the cross-elemental paths, and I never had nature-elemental casters.

It was killer, and the lack of enchantresses more-or-less-choked-off what was a very promising start. I did have Mount Chaining, which ought to be definitive for a blood nation. But without enchantresses, what could I do? I couldn't even build fire brands until my iron order came online, and I didn't find that until late, with a troll king, summoned by my God, spamming earth-site finding spells.

In the end, on a map this size, I was very powerful but had neighbors of above-average competence, and I had below-average luck on magic diversity from indies.

We should try this again on a wrap-around map .
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe