Thread: AI Air Defense
View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2011, 04:03 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,239 Times in 927 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: AI Air Defense

Kinda said it already as others have but would add map study first, try to determine the lines of advance and likely cover fire areas (Kills me to say map and not chart but yes I understand the difference!?!), usually the AA units will be behind it or to the sides or in areas close (Backside of a slope for example.) to them to access those points quickly if not forward deployed, because even advanced AA to some degree needs clear fields of fire. CM arty prep those areas you might even knock out some reserve forces in the process. Then UAV or SEAD or use both in those areas. Hold back on air attacks until about turn 3 so you have time to assess/make damage estimates, if unhappy with the results you'll still be able to call off the air missions in time, radios work great for that. Even the AI most of the time won't send in in air assets much before that unless it's in assault mode. Modern air doctrine doesn't do this anyway look at the Iraq wars and Libya, alot of AA units, Command and Control and Logistic Centers were taken out by SUB/SURFACE/AIR launched cruise missiles and other standoff weapons before the traditional fighter bombers were "on the scene". And I have to disagree respectfully of course, that arty used in the CB role is a waste of time, look at how many tubes and rocket launched systems N. Korea, Russia and China and some other more worthy opponents have, you'll be thankful you did then. Arty today is about satellite data links, laser targeting and range finding, shells with cameras and GPS to auto adjust to hit the target while "on the way" and this isn't new it's been around for almost 25yrs now to some degree it has gone so far beyond windage and stadimeters now. All I can suggust again is adjust your artillery settings prior to a game or campaign, I never use more than 90% accuracy myself. The bottom line is really there's no right or wrong you just have to understand "for every reaction there is an equal or opposite reaction." I don't always use air sorties myself, <20% of the time but it's nice to know it's there, because it is I just have to "call it in". I play the game like chess and don't treat it as a "tank game", because in the real world and it works real well in the game, it's a combined arms game to me, personally speaking of course.
To Suhiir- I'll take those odds if I can use the Indian
SUPER ARJUN MBT as it's currently in the game! Though submitted as a reminder on my last PP, Don already had it on the fix list earlier this year as XXX(?) noted after the last patch release the HF armor value. Use it while you can!!
As side bar if you get the G4 channel look into
Bomb Patrol as it follows two separate EOD teams in Afghanistan, another reason I'm glad I'm retired now, well from the military anyway.
Enjoy the rest of your weekends!

Regards,
Pat