View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:25 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Empowering a Wendigo

I agree that the lich, as an immortal unit, still has a place - it's mainly the kokythiad being more expensive than the wendigo that seems off as it seems like it should really be the other way around. Personally, I think the wendigo is underpriced at 24 gems (and only research level 6) even given that it takes some time to reach maturity.

But the really interesting thing to me about your idea of empowering the wendigo is for tart summoning. The lich is a good tart summoner since with a skull staff, skullface and one other booster (usually a ring of sorcery) he can do the job. But with your method you can spend 30 gems (only 5 more than a skullface costs) for what amounts to another D booster. Compare that to 40 S gems for a ring of sorcery. And since you got to use W gems to summon the wendigo, as opposed to the 30 D gems you needed for the lich, you haven't even had to spend more D gems to get your tart summoner than you would have with the lich. And aside from the cost issue it means you can summon tarts without needing a non-D booster like rings of sorcery/wizardry or a robe of the magi (I'm excluding unique items). I don't think that's a good thing and that's why I think it would be good to top the wendigo off at W3D3 (he can still reach full size/HP - just cap the magic at a lower level). I even like it better thematically that the lich has more knowledge of D magic.

Edit: And I would cap not just the D magic but the W magic at level 3 since I don't see any call for him to be able to cast maelstrom with just the two common W boosters or niefel flames without needing any boosters at all.

Last edited by Valerius; May 17th, 2012 at 08:34 PM..