View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:32 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Historical Company Level Cross Attachment?

From what I recollect reading of German team tactics post-war back in my 1/300 days, so it must have been some article in the 80s (maybe the 70s), the Germans tended to operate a pure tank co and a pure panzer grenadier company acting together in one area of operations.

Platoons of the tank or panzer grenadier unit would "marry up" as needed (it was a fluid pairing off, not fixed) and the commanders of the 2 companies somehow cooperated in joint command of the combat group, swapping platoons and mutually supporting each other as needed.

At a guess - probably, they would act as 2 closely-linked company teams (A and B elements), sending platoons to temporarily act under the other coy's HQ as the situation changed for a few minutes or an hour or 2. But not being formally 'chopped' under the other company's line of command for a day or more as with the other armies x-attachments.

But - it was a long time ago I saw the magazine article - main point was that they did not do the 'fixed' splitting up of an attached company (like the Soviets) or platoon cross-swapping between companies of other NATO armies, at least in that time frame, into formal combined-arms company teams.

(The article may have been notes in some army lists for use with WRG and/or the Challenger tabletop rule-sets?.)

For SP type games the chain of command is fixed for the battle. But battles are short, and so it can be deemed to reflect the short-term swapping of platoons back and forth between the 2 associated companies. Just operate the tank coy (cross attached as desired) with the grenadier coy (as cross attached) plus any attached battalion support (flak, stug sections etc) as an "A team" and "B team" operating mutually in quite close proximity (probably both coy HQs within 1000m or so in WW2).

However - some readers may have personal experience of how they did things post-war. That would likely have some relation to tier WW2 experience in any case.