View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2015, 09:39 AM

Private

Blackcloud6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Villers Bocage 1944?

I fought to a draw on this one last night. My attacks into Villers Bocage were easily repulse. I probably did them too early and should have just pounded a certain point for a few turns before trying. I might have then been able to gain a foothold.

The Brit armor did try to counterattack Hill 213. A platoon of Cromwells came down the road next to the railroad and ran into a Tiger that was immobilized on a hedge. They tried but couldn't kill the Tiger which dispatched three of the Cromwells and sent the last one running.

I had to send my armor back to HIll 213 to fight off the counterattack. One lone Firefly came right down the road up to a Tiger and killed it. How it got surprise on the Tiger is beyond me. I had to send three tanks and infantry after him to get rid of that threat.

This is a very good scenario and teaches one to take your time and get your ducks in order before doing anything. It also showed to me how important recon is and that the game may actually be the first game to do recon forces properly. I had many of my recon units spot units but not engage enemy by using the filters to keep them from doing so. Apparently, the enemy didn't spot them thus they were able to do their job.

It is easy to move too fast in any tactical computer game because you can just click away. But this scenario showed me otherwise and that the game engine is very good because good tactics work and poor tactics don't.