Thread: Question Dismounting Crews
View Single Post
Old August 26th, 2016, 04:54 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dismounting Crews

Dismounting crew from a recce jeep or scout car, if it had no passenger scout team carried, is something I do from time to time. Dismount crew in cover and walk the crew a couple of hexes to the ridge line, tree line or an adjacent building where they are able to observe but aren't as obvious as a moving vehicle, however small.

Other than that, I only dismount crew from a vehicle which is disabled (M-killed)and likely to be shot up by the enemy. Thus an experienced core crew might survive the battle.

Mass dismounting of drivers of "unused" vehicles is probably a bit gamey. Also - the crew is the vehicle and so if lost, you will usually lose the points of the truck etc, or if enemy enter the same hex as the now unoccupied truck it'll bee destroyed (In my case - the points would be given, but the experienced crew will re=crew the repaired unit if they have survived). So unused trucks (in the defence say, where you hae your towed AT guns dug-in) - I might leave on the baseline.

In addition - if the crew is out of the vehicle then the enemy cannot shoot it up in direct fire and area HE has no effect on it (unless the crew is nearby and is killed off). It becomes a mere decoration, only able to be destroyed by remaining in the same hex for a turn, or finding the crew wherever it has wandered off to and dealing with them there. So again - a bit "gamey".

So bar very limited dismounting of crew as local scouts from a real recon vehicle or to preserve core crews and those from M-killed vehicles (damaged vehicles which can still move are usually best driven into cover instead), you probably should would not find an opponent who was very happy with mass dismounting of crews, I would think.

cheers
Andy

NB - crews are size 1, not size 0, so are not particularly sneaky as ad-hoc scouts anyhow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: