Thread: The UAV Club
View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2024, 04:03 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,240 Times in 928 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: The UAV Club

Well, this will be where I'll put my defensive anti-drone info alongside what's already here as these issues are "hand in hand" topics.

Some of what's really not being mentioned here;
APS:
"Manufacturers are taking notice already of how readily adaptable hard-kill APSs might be for tackling uncrewed aerial threats. Israel's Elbit Systems says its Iron Fist system "can detect a drone or a loitering munition at around 1.5 km range" and has "successfully engaged drones simulating loitering munitions attack profiles" in testing, according to a story last year from EDR Online.

Iron Fist is a hard-kill APS that uses small active electronically scanned array (AESA) radars as its primary sensors to spot incoming threats and then uses projectiles with explosive warheads fired from small turreted launchers to knock them down. Passive infrared sensors are also an option for use with Iron Fist." From this month.
https://news.yahoo.com/tank-active-p...000944906.html

USA LIDS/USMC MADIS
(Same system overall.) :
"Advantages KuRFS and Coyote bring to the Army’s LIDS

KuRFS:

LIDS is deployable as either mobile or fixed, relocatable platforms.

Multi-mission KuRFS is so accurate, it can detect a 9mm bullet, and it has few false alarms or dropped tracks.

The radar offers flexibility of fixed relocatable (KuRFS) and mobile (Ku720) deployment options.

Precision targeting KuRFS discriminates between actual targets and clutter.

Coyote:

Coyote is able to down drones at longer ranges and higher altitudes than other systems.

Coyote Block 2 kinetic effectors defeat single drones and swarms of varied size and maneuverability.

The Coyote effectors are affordable; therefore, cost-effective to counter UAS threats." From AUG. 2023.
https://breakingdefense.com/2023/08/...gainst-drones/

What does "kinetic effectors" sound like to you? That's right, exactly what APS uses. The above testing took place in the Summer of 2022 if I read it correctly. Seen a couple of articles while looking into this that are saying the USA has already fielded them.

I can say for sure that the USMC MADIS will be fielded MAYBE this year, have to re-read the article I saved on MADIS and will post it in here.

There is so much going on defensive systems but to a degree is being "lost" on all the offensive side of the discussion.

Andy and Dons problem will be with some OOB's is where to put it all with all the new "standard" game land and air equipment to come and what's not already in but, ready to be added as they are fielded.

Something I know they are well aware of.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..