View Single Post
Old February 9th, 2024, 09:42 PM

Corporal

lansoar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Free Elevation tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christocipher View Post
I see lots of this kind of stuff about north africa tank battle like form here http://www.desertrats.org.uk/battles1941.htm#Brevity where it says

The battle became long range duel, with the British 2-pdrs hopelessly outclassed by the German 50mm and 75mm guns and by nightfall only 15 tanks were left.

And I think well why?!?!?!? that 2 pounder is just as good as the 50mm gun. But I think I worked out why. Its because the British tanks did not have any elevation gears. .
From a pure armor piercing standpoint, the 2pounder (40mm) gun was one of the best AT weapons of the early war period. But generally Commonwealth units armed with this weapon only had AP shot which was solid. No HE explosive, basically an oversized inert bullet. Coupled with its smaller size, it could take numerous penetrations to take out an AFV vs. an explosive AP shell that with penetration would burst inside the target. The German 50/42 and later 50/60 were far more versatile and thats not factoring in 3 man vs. 1 or 2 man turret configs and rangefinding equipment.
The Following User Says Thank You to lansoar For This Useful Post: