View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:20 PM

Private

techmaster-glitch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rise of the Remorhaz Society

Let’s see...sachmo, is it? Let me tell you a story.

I got SE5 some time ago,. I’ve played it, and it was good. Just recently, I’ve started to venture out, take tentative steps to looks for interesting SE5 content. A search brought me to the SE wiki. From there, shipsets intrigued me, and from there, I went to spaceempires.net. From there, I noticed they had a fan fiction section. I looked at the list, and by sheer happenstance, I clicked on “Rise of the Remorhaz Society”. The 51-page length was slightly intimidating, but I decided to read a few pages anyway.

The Rise of the Remorhaz Society was a story that, while it didn’t seem like much at first, drew me in, kept me wanting to find out what happened next “just because”. And I experienced what I think is truly great. As I got deeper and deeper into the story, I grew more and more enamored with it. While it didn’t start out this way, the story was eventually blended so seamlessly with the game itself that, instead of the game writing the plot, it felt like the plot was writing itself, with no game. The characters, many as they were, all seemed real, their own individual struggles, failures, and successes became the story itself.

As I continued, I was moved by it. I was elated with the successes of the Remorhaz, and saddened by their losses. When the Norak were defeated, the Norak integration subplot you created was something I had to see the next of. The war with the Rage Collective, particularly the taking of their planets and getting to learn how their populations worked, was gripping. And the Ukra-Tal war was keenly felt in its brutality with their organic weapons. But, by far, the best, most triumphant point in the whole story, was when Trilek gave his speech to the Remorhaz Senate to allow the Norak to serve in the Remorhaz military. That was something truly wonderful.

But, do you know what my greatest disappointment with this story is?

It’s. Not. Finished.

I caught up to page 51, and was confronted with what I feared: there wasn’t anything beyond this point yet. So, I noticed there was a link at the bottom where feedback could be give, and presumably, the author could be found. I wanted to make sure this was still an ongoing series. I got here, and you know what I found?

I’m reading, in the last few pages of this thread, some talk, and therefore life. But I am disturbed: the talk is about a cop-out: a single chapter to “wrap up” the story. The story has become too long. It’s not good.

Please do not do this.

I’m not a real judge of “quality”, but I know that the work of every single artist in the world could always stand improvement, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they should give something up for that reason alone. Yes, there are quite a few things early on that could have been done better, but that's to be expected if it was your first story like this. As it progressed, it improved so much. Yes, the story is lengthy, but I think it is a suitable match for the epic story that this is. Stories like this are meant to be long. And compared to a novel? This is still nothing. I found this story two days ago, and just finished it yesterday (mostly from a bit of luck, though). All in all, I read the whole thing in six hours total from spacemepires.net, and there, it is very manageably organized. All in all, unless you are having real life issues with creativity or other personal things, I can’t see any reason why this can’t continue.

I signed up here for one, single reason: to try and make sure this story was seen through. And I mean -through-, to its triumphant or bitter end. And I know you could do it justice either way. Please, continue writing this story as you have, and do not only make a single chapter to finish the story now. I want to see the Norak make their contribution to the war effort. I want to see what happens next with the Rage uprising. I want to see how the occupation of the Ukra-Tal planet with proceed, and what experiencing their lifestyles and customs will be like through the eyes of the Remorhaz, and how they will take to Remhoraz rule and society. I want to see how, ultimately, the war or peace with the Ukra-tal and the Romulans will go, and whether or not there are still other races out there, waiting to make contact. Please, I want to see what really happens next, not a single “wrap-up” chapter that misses out all the exciting detail you have packed into this brilliant creative interpretation of a game. Let it be as long as it needs to be.

Still, this is about the only space empires fanfiction I have read, and there might be other stories out there just as good or maybe even better. However, I’ve been probing around a few other stories, and you know what? I think finding those other good stories is going to be -extremely- difficult.

However, if you really cannot continue this story as you have, for personal or any other reasons, I suppose there’s not much I can do, and it was good while it lasted. I just think it would be a terrible waste if this story were not given the justice it deserves and completed properly.

Thank you.