Thread: Dawn
View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:12 AM

Corporal

attack_condor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dawn

Hello everyone - before the entry for today, thanks to all who have been viewing. Although I've started a few games (What, my home system doesn't have 3 huge rock worlds with oxygen atmosphere??? Restart!!), I'm not all that familar with the game beyond a couple of years, or the BM and its changes. Please forgive me if something seems totally out of place.

Now with that out of the way, please enjoy today's entry.

Chazzwazzer system
...onboard colony ship Pinta...

The operations officer watched the display, and announced,

“Approaching intercept vector.”

The captain of the giant ship acknowledged and keyed in the sequence to fire the orbital rockets.

In two hours, the colony ship was nearing the end of its three-month journey. The landing site (although the term “landing” on a gas giant was a bit counterintuitive) was already coded into the navigation system, and the remaining part of the sequence was largely automatic, although the human pilots on board could override the system in case of a malfunction.

The system, of course, worked perfectly. The ship was “landed” – or rather had established a permanent docking facility. It would form the base from which the planet structures would be formed. It was rather like building in the sky, but the buildings would be on raised pads. The pads themselves were equipped with anti-gravity thrusters. That was the secret of colonizing a gas giant. You never touched down.

The commander opened the airlock door and fresh air flooded throughout the ship. Colonists and crew alike felt invigorated and began to build another element of the Empire.

Ushphada system
Ushphada I space yard facility...

With the mooring lines secured, Leeds shut her engines down. The yard supervisor was already on board, “suggesting” to the captain the order of upgrades. There were a few changes to the England design. First, the ship would get a flak cannon. While the Artemis was still the main point defense ship of the fleet, she wasn’t to be the only point defense of the fleet. Second, the armor was to be upgraded – new material alloys allowed for a 10% increase in the protection it offered. Third, an ECM pod was being installed, and the signals officers and operators were to report to the secure meeting room for 5 days for orientation training on the new system. Leeds would be the first of the frigates to be upgraded to the England VI frigate.

Meanwhile, taking her place guarding the warp point to Tilikathua was Sniper, the new point defense destroyer. Northampton was also at Ushphada and was also going through a rest and refit, along with an upgrade to an England VI class.

Ushphada system
Tilikanthua warp point
...onboard CDS Sniper...

“With all due respect, minister – are you sure this is a wise move?”

The captain could politely ask, but that was about all he could do. His orders, unsealed earlier today, were very specific. Minister Talbot was now in total command of the ship. The captain reread the orders, cursed, and punched in his command code. The response was simple and unnerving.

“I’m sorry captain, your code no longer functions.”

That was earlier today. Now, the captain was a helpless bystander on his own ship. At least he could still be on the bridge. How gracious of the Minister. He repeated his question.

“Minister? Are you sure this a good idea? Sending Leeds and Northampton back for upgrade at the same time?”

The minister was watching the ship’s main display panel intently. His voice carried just a touch of annoyance in his reply.

“Captain, your orders? I’m sure you’ve read them?”

At this point, the crewmembers on the bridge looked up at the two of them for a bit before returning to their duties.

“I know minister, you are in command now. Why – I don’t know. But the Navy seems to approve.”

The minister was still loking at the display panel. He didn’t acknowledge the captain.

“Minister, I will fully support you, but the safety of my crew is of utmost…”

The minister answered, but was clearly annoyed at the interruption. His eyes never left the ship’s display panel. He watched the time tick away.

“Yes, yes, Captain. I can assure you that …ahhhhh!! … just… about…now…”

The warp point seemed to shimmer for just a second…

“Warning. Warp point breach iminent. Warp point breach in thirty seconds.”

This was too much for the captain.

“Minister! Sir – the warp point…”

The soothing voice returned.

“Warp point breach in fifteen seconds.”

The captain continued.

“Minister, we can still leave the warp point. We can recall Leeds and Northampton. They can’t get here right away, but they can at least get here to try and close the point again.”

The minister finally turned and stared at the captain. His head titled just a bit when he spoke.

“Leave? Why would we want to leave?”

Once again, the soft voice made herself known.

“Warp point breached.”

The captain was about to answer when he noticed the display over the minister’s shoulder. A ship was emerging from the warp point. It was a Cue Cappa frigate. The captain pointed to the display and made what he thought was a convincing argument to leave.

“Sir – a Cue Cappa frigate. And we have no weapons, Minister!”

The minister glanced over his shoulder and looked back at the captain.

“Exactly.”